Invalid SSL certificate

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24-inch, M1, 2021, 256GB 16GB memory. MBA M1 2020 256GB, 8GB memory.

I've been accessing a particular website regularly for many years, but today the following message appeared and I now cannot enter the website. There was a Safari update a couple of days ago, could this be anything to do with it? I've replaced the 'Ray ID' and the 'Your IP address' details with Xs for privacy reasons. Can anyone advise me how to proceed? Thanks.

Invalid SSL certificate​

The origin web server does not have a valid SSL certificate.
  • Ray ID: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
  • Your IP address: XXXXXXXXXX
  • Error reference number: 526
  • Cloudflare Location: London

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
It's not your problem, it's their problem. A valid SSL (Secure Socket Layer) certificate from a trust CA (Certifying Authority) is required to communicate over HTTPS. These certificates have an expiration date and once that's past, any communication attempts over HTTPS will yield that error.

Most browsers redirect HTTP traffic over HTTPS, and if the SSL certificate has expired, HTTPS cannot be trusted to be secure and as such the browsers don't proceed any further and that's a good thing.

If you know the contact info for the website folks, then send them a note to let them know to renew their SSL certificate.

You can check this certificate on any website utilized HTTPS by clicking on the padlock icon in the URL bar (most browsers have it) checking the certificate expiration date.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.