Internet running very slowly only on Mac

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm having an absolute nightmare with the internet on my MacBook Air (mid-2012). The problem is mainly with my home WiFi, although has happened intermittently with other WiFi networks in other locations. Regardless of which browser I use, the internet runs ridiculously slowly, taking a very long time to load pages or not loading them at all. And I can't even load the App Store or download any updates.

My home WiFi is Sky Fibre. I have numerous other devices including an iPad and a work laptop (Windows) that connect to this WiFi network and have no issue whatsoever with the internet speeds on any of these.

I tried a speed test using my MacBook, and the download speed came back at 0.06mps... doing the same test on my other devices gets the right speed. I've also tried tethering my laptop to my phone internet and this appears to get decent internet speeds without issue.

I've tried Wireless Diagnostics and have a report, but sadly I'm not tech savvy enough to know what that report is actually telling me! I've also tried erasing my HD and resetting the MacBook back to the factory OS (Mountain Lion), this still didn't work. I've now restored it back to Sierra.

Does anyone have any suggestions please?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

The symptoms you've described are inconclusive at best. It could be a DNS problem but it seems your other devices at home are operating normally. Generally with an incorrect or slow DNS setting the UP/DOWN speeds are good but web pages load very slowly. Your MacBook Air could have a hardware problem with either the built in WiFi card or antenna. However, you should run a speed test with your MacBook Air connected to your modem\router using an ethernet cable. Connect the cable and then turn off WiFi and run a speed test.

Were there any kind of repairs ever done on your MacBook Air such as changing out the display or logic board? Top case replacement? And so on. Let us know.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thank you :)

Sadly I don't have an Ethernet cable, at least not one that works with a Mac so I'll have to invest in one before I can test that.

Actually yes, last year I had the display changed as I'd dropped it and smashed the screen. It was insured, so was sorted out and repaired by my insurance company. Is it possible that something could have been broken whilst the display was changed? In all honesty, I'm not sure if the WiFi has worked at all since the display was replaced. Although the WiFi does work properly when tethered to my phone, so it's not a completely universal WiFi problem?

Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks for the additional information.

We always suspect poor WiFi in a MacBook Air or MacBook Pro is related to previous repairs. Unfortunately, the WiFi antenna is located behind the screen display housing. And it's quite common for non Apple repairers (insurance company repair) to overlook the proper placement or attachment of the antenna wires. Not much you can do in that situation except to completely disassemble the display housing and take care of the problem. That certainly is not an easy task. (see www.ifixit.com for instructions.)

You have several choices here besides taking the display housing apart:

1. Do not use WiFi; in other words only an ethernet cable.

2. Buy a USB WiFi dongle that is designed for macOS to use in place of the WiFi card in your MacBook Air.

Of course if you are able to get back with your insurance company and if they are willing to rectify the problem, that would be best.

Let us know if we can be of further help.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thank you very much. I don't want to risk repairing it myself, so I'll give the dongle a go. But also see if my insurers are willing to rectify the issue.

Many Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Thank you :)

Sadly I don't have an Ethernet cable, at least not one that works with a Mac so I'll have to invest in one before I can test that.
Any Ethernet cable will work on a Mac. Or do you not have an Ethernet port?

OP
C
Reaction score
I don't have an Ethernet port I'm afraid. I have the thunderbolt one instead?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't have an Ethernet port I'm afraid. I have the thunderbolt one instead?

A bit late getting back to this thread.... (been busy)

You can buy an adapter which will allow your Thunderbolt port to act like an ethernet port. However, check around first for USB dongles but be sure to only try one that is designed to work with macOS. Most USB dongles are designed for Windows so be careful about investing in one.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.