Internet pages slow to load only on macbook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2015, iMac G3 Bondi Blue, PowerMac G3 B+W, iBook G3 Clamshell Indigo
Hello,

I have a brand new macbook pro, 2015, running 10.10.5.
In any browser, it can take ages to load a web page. The address is resolved and then it says "waiting for xxxx.com "

Research told me it was a DNS issue, but if I try any other DNS server than the default (provided by my university) I can't resolve pages at all.

Occasionally the web will load very fast for a few minutes but then it will return to a slow speed.

I'm using apple's thunderbolt Ethernet adaptor.

The interesting bit is that it's not the Internet connection itself that's slow, because I'm using my Mac to share WiFi to my tablet. When I'm struggling to load a page on the Mac, I can use the tablet to load the same page instantly. The tablet connects to the Internet THROUGH the Mac...

And stopping the WiFi sharing doesn't speed up loading pages either.

Also, search results on Google load very quickly indeed. However loading any of sites found is very slow.

I don't know what to try next!
Thanks in advance,
Joe

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It does sound very much like a DNS issue, however, you may be locked in to using the DNS server provided by your university. I had the very same problem some years ago when my internet provider locked me into using their DNS server only. I finally was able to work around it and use OpenDNS which dramatically improved web page loading.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2015, iMac G3 Bondi Blue, PowerMac G3 B+W, iBook G3 Clamshell Indigo
I had the very same problem some years ago when my internet provider locked me into using their DNS server only. I finally was able to work around it and use OpenDNS which dramatically improved web page loading.

What was this workaround please??

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The other thing I don't understand is that my tablet works better and its on Google's DNS server. So I don't understand why Google's DNS doesn't work on my Mac?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I was able to get into their supplied router main menu and change the DNS addresses. You may not be able to do that if your connection is direct rather than through a separate router. Most ISPs (internet service providers) use proprietary DNS addresses which are associated with their own network or leased from another network, therefore they normally don't want you messing with it. Generally universities have a proprietry network setup for students and equip dormitories with direct connections rather than an individual router.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you for your help.
As I had tried everything I thought I could I took the issue to the Computer Services Dept. Helpdesk.
They had come across this issue before.

My university issues everyone with a copy of Sophos AV, and I had installed that. However I hadn't changed any of the settings because many of them were university specific. The IT guy turned off the following setting:
Screen Shot 2015-09-30 at 19.27.39.png

As well as a few other (similar) settings. But this was the offender. So every time I navigated to a URL, the AV was sending the URL to its servers and waiting for a reply, before loading the content. And of course that happened for every page, and every image or advert on every page...

I'm glad that issue is sorted :)

Joe

Reaction score
Are you "required" to use Sophos? If not uninstall that sucker.
You don't really need it.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are you "required" to use Sophos?

It's "highly recommended" when you're on the university network.

At the moment it doesn't seem to be doing any harm anymore, and I don't feel comfortable without antivirus; even if it is supposedly immune because its a mac.

I've had too many linux and windows viruses to want to risk it, although once i've left uni Sophos won't be the one I'm using.

Thanks,
Joe

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Let us know when a Mac OS X virus hits the streets. It will be world headlines! And there is no such word as 'supposedly' in the Mac dictionary, just the odd malware and adware which AV software will have no influence on.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It will be world headlines!

Yes it will! Because most Mac users don't use AV so surely thats a big target group for virus writers with any sense?
When it does happen, I don't want to be caught out.

And if it never does, then better safe than sorry IMO :)

Joe :)

C

chas_m

Funny how those clever virus writers haven't been able -- despite 20 years now and a number of VERY large monetary inducements -- to come up with a virus for OS X. Maybe there's another reason for that you're not considering because of the Windows mindset you came from?

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Maybe there's another reason for that you're not considering because of the Windows mindset you came from?

You're probably right in that.
But they said the Titanic wouldn't sink...
For the sake of installing a free version of AV, that's what I'm doing.

Thanks for your help and concern though.
Joe

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.