iMac Virus Alert?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, MacOS Ventura, iPod Touch, iPhone 6s Plus, MacBook Air 2020
Yesterday afternoon and this morning ... and again just a couple of minutes ago, there appeared a "notification" (I think they're called) at the top right of the screen alerting me to a virus. See attached image.

Yesterday, Bitdefender Virus Scanner's "Deep System Scan" found a Trojan, which it removed.

Since then, the notification continues to appear. I have run the free version of Bitdefender Virus Scanner's "Deep System Scan" and Intego VirusBarrier Scanner. Both have come up negative every time. In the words of Bitdefender "Your Mac is clean".

The black arrow in the image is my Mouse — I did NOT click it but I let it sit there long enough to keep the notification from disappearing while I went for a camera. Setting the mouse there "dimmed" the image at its right, and displayed "Show". I did NOT click on that either.

My first question is, do I have a virus that is undetectable to both Bitdefender and VirusBarrier?

Or is this the "same" notification that warned me of the earlier Trojan that Bitdefender removed. And if so, how do I inform my Mac that the virus has been removed?

Thank you.

Attachments

• virus alert.png
    virus alert.png
    190.7 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Yesterday afternoon and this morning ... and again just a couple of minutes ago, there appeared a "notification" (I think they're called) at the top right of the screen alerting me to a virus. See attached image.

Yesterday, Bitdefender Virus Scanner's "Deep System Scan" found a Trojan, which it removed.

Since then, the notification continues to appear. I have run the free version of Bitdefender Virus Scanner's "Deep System Scan" and Intego VirusBarrier Scanner. Both have come up negative every time. In the words of Bitdefender "Your Mac is clean".

The black arrow in the image is my Mouse — I did NOT click it but I let it sit there long enough to keep the notification from disappearing while I went for a camera. Setting the mouse there "dimmed" the image at its right, and displayed "Show". I did NOT click on that either.

My first question is, do I have a virus that is undetectable to both Bitdefender and VirusBarrier?

Or is this the "same" notification that warned me of the earlier Trojan that Bitdefender removed. And if so, how do I inform my Mac that the virus has been removed?

Thank you.

No, you don't have any malware. Except maybe BitDefender. Get rid of it. VirusBarrier is fine, but that notification very possibly is just BitDefender trying to scare you. It's best to use their own Uninstaller tool, but afterwards, use something like Easy Find to search for remnants.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
One more thing... scams using the web browser feature to allow websites to push notifcations are becoming a huge problem. That notification could actually be an ad in disguise. The best practice recommendations today are to disable the option in Safari (and all other browsers) to allow websites to send notifications.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
One more thing... scams using the web browser feature to allow websites to push notifcations are becoming a huge problem. That notification could actually be an ad in disguise. The best practice recommendations today are to disable the option in Safari (and all other browsers) to allow websites to send notifications.

Thank you!
Who knew that was there ... well, I guess you did. Fortunately.
No, you don't have any malware. Except maybe BitDefender. Get rid of it. VirusBarrier is fine, but that notification very possibly is just BitDefender trying to scare you. It's best to use their own Uninstaller tool, but afterwards, use something like Easy Find to search for remnants.

OK, I will.
Thank you for being here.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
"It's best to use their own Uninstaller tool"
FYI Apparently they no longer provide a separate uninstaller tool.
At https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/ is "drag and drop into Trash" or "right click and move to Trash" after which "Find Any File" found & removed a couple of dozen remnants.

Last edited:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
"It's best to use their own Uninstaller tool"
FYI Apparently they no longer provide a separate uninstaller tool.
At https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/ is "drag and drop into Trash" or "right click and move to Trash" after which "Find Any File" found & removed a couple of dozen remnants.
I've never used that program and that kind of behavior guarantees I won't use it in the future.

As you've discovered, these programs often include uninstallers because they place files on your hard drive in several locations. A simple drag and drop to the trash will often leave several files behind -- some may produce the message you were seeing. Although manual uninstallation is possible, one must know what files to look for and where they are likely to be found. Finding that information isn't always easy.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
The best practice recommendations today are to disable the option in Safari (and all other browsers) to allow websites to send notifications
Totally agree. And to do this Open Safari, then open Safari Settings (this can be done quickly by using the Keyboard shortcut Command plus comma OR click on Safari icon next to  and choose Settings).

Now Click on Websites. On the Left, scroll down to Notifications and highlight it. And on the Right, untick the box "Allow websites to ask permission to send notifications".

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan

@stefanmaine

Just a bit OFF TOPIC, but I thought you might be interested in a site with some suggestions for taking screenshots with your Mac and how, which is usually easier and better than using a camera:

- Patrick
=======

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I think, "Empowering users" is part of our mission statement👍🏼🙂

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.