Imac screen goes black

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5-inch, Late 2009 16 GB memory, High Sierra 10.13.6 500gb ssd, 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
While viewing a you tube videos my Imac screen went black. Happened 3 times with in a few minutes, screen goes black, have to pull the plug before it would reboot. I first registered this problem under OS, Cleaned up the disk errors and its running good until now.
I believe it's a hard ware problem now. NO disk errors.
Tried using Apple hardware Diagnostics, could not get it to work. Tried using the other key combinations, did not work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
While viewing a you tube videos my Imac screen went black. Happened 3 times with in a few minutes, screen goes black, have to pull the plug before it would reboot. I first registered this problem under OS, Cleaned up the disk errors and its running good until now.
I believe it's a hard ware problem now. NO disk errors.
Tried using Apple hardware Diagnostics, could not get it to work. Tried using the other key combinations, did not work.

I suspected the problem would return. At least you now have a bootable clone and your data is safe. Before your iMac was reported to be powering off, is this still happening or is the black screen now no video? With your ear close to the iMac when the screen goes black can you hear its fans running, when pressing the caps lock key does its LED illuminate? Wether you are experiencing a hardware video or power problem it may be time to consider buying a used or new iMac due to your 2009 iMacs age. You previously mentioned you were 80 miles from the closest Apple Store. Unfortunately, although recently working normally, Apple have listed it as vintage for some years and would be incapable of repairing it.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5-inch, Late 2009 16 GB memory, High Sierra 10.13.6 500gb ssd, 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Got the machine to fail again after viewing you tube videos. Screen went black but the audio continued! I could increase and decrease the volume. The caps lock worked.
I would assume that this problem is the video card. Can this be replaced?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
A bit of a longshot, but in System Preferenced, Energy Saver, is the screen set to go black after a while? The timer for that action is not based on what the system is doing, but your interaction, so if you are not using the keyboard or mouse while the video plays, the timer is running to that darken screen event. I didn't mention this at first because all it takes to turn the screen back on is a keypress or mouse click, but before you embark on expensive repairs to an old machine, you might want to check.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Funny, typing in the replay it crashed 2 times. Ran a EtreCheckPro app, came up with some faults.
Seems like this Imac is on borrowed time.

Attachments

• EtreCheckPro crash report.pdf
    40 KB · Views: 4
OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Funny, typing in the replay it crashed 2 times. Ran a EtreCheckPro app, came up with some faults.
Seems like this Imac is on borrowed time.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Well parts of it anyway. Would you consider another iMac as replacement or...?

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well parts of it anyway. Would you consider another iMac as replacement or...?
I've put in an order from OWC for a newer used imac

I tried to wipe the ssd on the old imac and it acted like "HAL 9000", no I can' do that.. So the old imac is going to get crushed.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I tried to wipe the ssd on the old imac and it acted like "HAL 9000", no I can' do that.. So the old imac is going to get crushed.
You cannot erase the drive from which it is booted. Hence the "no can do" response. If you boot into recovery, or from an external, you can erase it without having to crush it.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You cannot erase the drive from which it is booted. Hence the "no can do" response. If you boot into recovery, or from an external, you can erase it without having to crush it.
The machine stayed up long enough to wipe the disk and then the black screen appeared.
Now to get rid of it. Needs a GPU card I think

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
and it acted like "HAL 9000", no I can' do that..
Oh my gosh, you just made a reference to "2001 A Space Odyssey". I saw that at a movie theatre as a treat after a dental appointment when I was 12. My mother took me, I don't know what she thought about it but I thought it was fantastic. It was somewhat of a landmark experience.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I thought it was fantastic. It was somewhat of a landmark experience.

So did I when I first saw it. It's only later on that you realise the subtle undercurrents or messages.

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.