iMac M1 on Monterey slow loading photos.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
Our iMac M1 running Monterey has suddenly started to take an age to load photos whn=en I'm looking through some of the other forums I am on. It can take up to 15 or 20 seconds for them to appear.

It's stood next to our old 21 ½ iMac and I have tried the 2 together to check that it isnt out internet connection and the old Mac is perfectly OK. I have done a 'Restart' and a complete power off and back on. No difference.

Web pages like the BBC news site load quickly and aren't a problem. As far as I am aware there haven't been any changes or updates in the past day or so since it started on its 'go slow'.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Truly not sure what's gone wrong, John, but here's a couple of suggestions:

Ian

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
It doesn't seem to be any of those Ian and I wondered if it was Safari? So I have now tried Waterfox and it's the same.

If I open photos in my PS Elements 2022 they are almost immediate. I have also tried connecting the M1 Mac by ethernet cable, and that tells me that it isn't connected to the internet, so I backed out of that for another day! One problem is enough for my poor old brain cell at the moment.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Try running a speed check at speedtest.net and see if something is slowing your internet down.Could be anything, including neighbors, that is creating more interference for the iMac than the old iMac.

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As I said above I have our old late 2009 iMac stood alongside this M1 machine and tried hitting the button on both at the same time to load the same photo/page. The old Mac loads within a couple of seconds, but the M1 can take an age. So it can't be the internet slowing down , can it?

But I will run a speed test to be sure. Is there any that you would recommend?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So it can't be the internet slowing down , can it?
Actually, yes, it can. The frequency for WiFi is 2.4 Ghz, or 5Ghz. At 2.4 Ghz a wavelength is about 12.5 cm, and at 5 Ghz it's about 6.25 cm. So, if the antenna is in a low spot, or a harmonic spot, it could see either a very low signal or a very high signal. Move it a few cm and the signal strength could be totally different. Add to that interference from all other 2.4/5Ghz devices in your locality (other Macs, Smart Phones, wireless devices, etc., etc., and the possibility of two machines side-by-side having different speeds is pretty high.

So, do that speedtest and then move the slow machine a cm or two and try again. You might be surprised.

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have done a speed test Jake and it's about normal to what I have done brfore. The router and the Macs haven't moved for months now and the load speed for photos at this moment is very quick. If the 3 bits of kit are stationary then I can't see how harmonics can change? Am I being especially thick here?

The old Mac is in sleep mode but it doesn't make any difference whether it's awake or sleep and this problem has only started to occur in the last few weeks and it's intermittant.

Screenshot 2022-03-10 at 23.07.51.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
John, if that result is what you would normally see, that's fine. Interference can come from not just what YOU do, as I said, but from what your neighbors might be doing or changed. And at the short wavelengths involved, as I said, it doesn't take much.

I have noticed Safari seems slower on Monterey 12.2.1 than it was before the update. No reason for it I can find, so maybe it will get "fixed" with the next update to Monterey? Brave seems to be quicker now than Safari, whereas before they were about the same. You might give that a try.

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's typical Jake as I have only started using Safari with this new machine. We have always used Firefox moving on to Waterfox up until now.

Brave? "crypto/BAT assets" Where's Robin? Probably in the Bat Car o_O

Call me thick, but what the heIIs that lot about, pray tell?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's typical Jake as I have only started using Safari with this new machine. We have always used Firefox moving on to Waterfox up until now.

Brave? "crypto/BAT assets" Where's Robin? Probably in the Bat Car o_O

Call me thick, but what the heIIs that lot about, pray tell?
Brave is free, but they make money with ads. But Brave has an inherent ad-blocker, so, to incentivize people to allow ads for some things, Brave offers "rewards" if you allow those ads to appear and you view them. That is what the mysterious "BAT assets" are. Just turn it off and Brave works just fine. I haven't make it the default browser yet, and may not ever, if Apple fixes Safari soon.

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are you running any sort of Adblock software?

Sorry Massalt, I managed to miss your reply.

As far as I know there are no extensions on this Safari apart from Duckduckgo and I'm not sure if that counts as an extension?

How do I go about checking that please?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.