imac high Sierra DVD issue

Reaction score
Hi guys, I thought I would try the DVD player, I have some old classics I thought I would try.
Every time I inset a DVD the Mac has a think and spits it out. I have tried several, all with the same result.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
Hi guys, I thought I would try the DVD player, I have some old classics I thought I would try.
Every time I inset a DVD the Mac has a think and spits it out. I have tried several, all with the same result.

Even if you have never used your iMac's optical drive they can still fail as yours has. You could try using a can of compressed air squirted in through the OD slot, it may or may nor resolve the issue. If not the most practical solution is to purchase a USB external optical drive. The newest your iMac can be is a 2011 model. Since then no newer iMacs have had optical drives.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@mistersupernova

Now, please do not think I am taking the "Mickey", but are you inserting the DVD the right way up? Believe me, this has happened in these forums on a few occasions in the past. Most often it is the Player which is upside down.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
@mistersupernova

Now, please do not think I am taking the "Mickey", but are you inserting the DVD the right way up? Believe me, this has happened in these forums on a few occasions in the past. Most often it is the Player which is upside down.

Ian
Always a good point! Hope the air 'blow out' helps - also curious if you've tried to play a CD? DVD players can read both formats either with two lasers or hardware/software that can change the focus/wavelength of a single laser. Of course, you've given us no specifics as to the vintage of your machine (age and model) and macOS installed. Also there use to be lens cleaning discs for these machines, assume still around? Dave :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini M1 (8gb Memory / 500 gb Hard drive) Running Sonoma 14.0
On my old Win PC, I had an almost new (new when fitted) DVD drive, but only used a couple of times, next time I tried to use it a couple of years later, nothing, it had failed, probably dirt on the lens.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Is the old DVD readable on anything else? They do deteriorate over time, it may be that the DVD is unreadable. Do you have a new blank DVD you could test the Drive with?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini M1 (8gb Memory / 500 gb Hard drive) Running Sonoma 14.0
Is the old DVD readable on anything else? They do deteriorate over time, it may be that the DVD is unreadable. Do you have a new blank DVD you could test the Drive with?
Very valid, I copied a number of my old LPs to CD many years ago (also saving to hard drive), and after about 5 years about 50% were unreadable to varying degrees.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.