iMac / HIFI setup - software/hardware

Reaction score
I have an iMac which accesses our local home Network Attached Storage (NAS) over wifi.

I also have a home hifi system that I would like to setup so that I can play music from the NAS.

Does anyone have any recommendations on what software I should run / any additional hardware I should purchase so I can have a simple way of playing the music through the hifi?

I would like to hear the thoughts of the experienced Mac users in this forum. Any advice or suggestions are appreciated.

I trust this is the right place to list the discussion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP i7 mid 2012 macOS 10.12
I use AirPort Express to add AirPlay to my 2 channel system.

Details are in this thread.

http://www.ipadforums.net/threads/adding-airplay-to-a-home-theatre-receiver-amplifier.129658/

On the Mac, I simply use iTunes. I'm told Jriver runs well on the Mac but costs (around $50, I believe). I've seen and heard a Windows version running and it looks and sounds good.

I also use Foobar2000 on Windows. It is supposed to be getting a Mac port at some time, but it hasn't happened yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just remembered another useful app. If you add iTunes Remote to your iPhone or iPad you can control iTunes with it. Handy if your hifi is in a different room to your Mac.

OP
D
Reaction score
So I am thinking after some hunting around that it may be easiest to use a 4th Gen AppleTV and a HDMI to HDMI & Optical SPDIF+RCA L/R Audio Extractor Converter Audio Splitter HD.
I can then use iTunes as the software to play the music from the NAS (without needing the TV on), and also stream and video to the TV when needed.

Any other ideas or thoughts on my solution?
Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The AppleTV 4th gen lacks an optical output. If you want an optical connection you will need a 3rd gen.

I'm just checking now that AppleTV does what you want. It does.

My path is MacBookPro (iTunes) with external HDD (works exactly the same as a NAS) wireless to AppleTV; TOSLink to Yamaha receiver and thence to speakers. TV is off.

Since HDMI carries sound as well as video it may be possible to get the sound to your speakers through that connection if you really wanted ATV Gen4. However, I don't have one yet, so I can't check it out.

You can use VLC on Mac to play video on the AppleTV and apparently also stream it. I haven't got a clue how to stream it though. If you have videos on iTunes as a result of redeeming digital copies, they are available on ATV without needing to connect the computer. Just look in the Movies/Purchased section of ATV.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry. Forgot to add this screenshot to the previous post. It's the output control of iTunes.

Screen Shot 2016-09-26 at 10.45.53 PM.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.