iMac G5 turns of randomly - PSU fault????

Reaction score
Hi,

My 20" iMac G5 is randomly turning off, it can be pretty much straight after you turn it on, or after it has booted up for a while. It can however stay on for hours overnight and then just turn off again in the morning.

I have verified the disk using disk utility, that came back fine, I also tried a new HDD but still crashed. Capacitors are all okay. So could it be a faulty PSU? Is there a way of checking the memory? Would a fault in that make it crash?

Wanted to check as the PSU's are nearly £100 so didn't want to get it wrong.

Thanks, Ian.

Reaction score
It could well be the PSU but then again, it could be something else too. Is there an Apple repair shop near you? If so, I recommend taking it there and they can test for faults rather than you replacing parts based upon supposition.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Random shutdowns are usually caused by a faulty PS or memory. Not much you can do about the PS except to replace it. As for the memory, best way to check it is by substitution. There is also a possibility your G5 may be overheating and shutting down - so be sure to check all the fans. Remove the cover and let it run that way for awhile to see what happens.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.