IMac G5 turning itself off

Reaction score
Hi Have a problem. My computer keeps making a 'pop' sound sometimes when I am working at it and sometimes when no one is near to it. The screen then goes black and the comuter has turned off. Turn back by the power button and then it is OK again for awhile. Doing this about 2 or 3 times a day now. Anyone else experienced this problem and how to resolve please. Have asked other people but can't find anyone else who has had the problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
A little more information in your post might be helpful. (Your title is great, by the way... describes your problem well.)

Have you physically moved it recently? ...plugged it into a different outlet? ....added an extension cord?

Do you have frequent power surges? Are any other devices exhibiting similar symptoms?

Then there hardware failure possibilities as well. It is an older machine. Has it had heavy usage? Was it doing this less frequently before?

All in all, it doesn't sound good. But, the good news is, maybe it's time for a brand new Mac! :)

OP
H
Reaction score
G5 Keeps turning itself off

Hi MACsh, Thanks for speedy response and in answer to your points I would say 'no I have not physically moved and the computer is still standing where it was placed when I bought it 5 years ago.
I haven't changed any cords or outlets and as far as I am aware we don't get power surges.
No other devices are affected. The printer is connected to the Mac and that is unaffected and the router(which also is connected to the TV) doesn't get affected when the problem arises.
As far as usuage is concerned. My Wife and I use it every day but no business use- just normal everyday browsing etc.
What a drag it is going to be if I have to replace it with the latest 27inch screen model.!!!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Well, it sure seems like hardware failure to me. Any others voting that way???

What's wrong with the 27" screen?

If cost is an important consideration, you can buy a new Mini, and a new (non-Apple) monitor for less than a new iMac, and use the same keyboard you have now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Sounds like a power supply problem.

Reaction score
not power supply

I have the same problem (imac G5). Pop sound and imac shuts off. I bought a power supply and it did it again a month later. Then I bought another imac G5 off ebay (no hard drive). Took the power supply out of ebay imac and put it in my old imac. 1 hour later, POP. So I gave up on the old imac (figured it was a motherboard thing) and put the power supply back into the ebay Imac. Put my old hard drive in the ebay Imac, started it up and ran fine... for 3 weeks and then POP.
So yeah, now I'm hoping its a power surge issue. Gonna buy a new surge protector and try it out.
PS the new power supply I had bought was completely shot, it wouldn't turn back on.

OP
H
Reaction score
Hopefully problem solved

Further to the problem of my Mac shutting itself down. I got a Mac service engineer to look at it and he found that it was overheating as a result of the two cooling fans having failed. He replaced both and so far(keeping fingers crossed) it has been working normally and is not making a noise.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.