iMac g5 stuck in windows boot manager

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 3
Hello,

I was attempting to install windows 7 onto an iMac g5 (running Leopard if that makes any difference) with bootcamp assistant. It was having issues downloading support software for windows, but since my flash drive already had the windows support software from putting windows 7 on a macBook pro first gen, I skipped that step, planning on just using the flash drive. However, after restarting and installing the windows files off the disk, it gave me an error message saying that it was attempting to load a 64-bit application, but the cpu is not compatible with 64-bit mode. Now the computer is stuck like that. If I restart the computer, it only tries to install windows again and comes to the same error. I tried holding down the option key while restarting but it didn't make any kind of difference.

Any help in getting back to OS X would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Reaction score
First off, you probably mean you have an Intel based iMac, not a G5.
Bootcamp is only supported on Intel based machines.

Second, is that every Mac requires it's own Bootcamp Windows Support Package, which means that you can't use the Macbook Pro version on your iMac.

It's obvious that the Windows install failed somewhere, whether it gives you an error on the 64 bit issue or not, you should be able to Option-Boot back into the boot loader.

Therefor you could try to try Refit. rEFIt - An EFI Boot Menu and Toolkit
It's a boot loader you can burn on a CD and boot off of that by pressing 'C' while booting.
It should give you the option to boot back into OSX.

Remember that if you want to delete the Windows partition you should do so by using the Bootcamp Assistant.

If you are having trouble installing a 64 bit Windows on your Mac, try making a patched install disk, explained here... But if I say I will not mention Him… » Blog Archive » Install Windows 7 x64 on a Mac (beat the “Select CD-ROM Boot Type” error!)

SM

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.