iMAC 21.5" Question >>>

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" 5K iMAC (2019), 21.5" iMAC (2011), MBP (2014), iPAD, IPhone, Apple Watch.
I have recently sent my iMAC 21.5" to the repair shop after it refused to turn on , can anyone thing of a reason why his would happen and whats causing it , sorry I don't have any more information but I am just curious to know whats going on with it :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I have recently sent my iMAC 21.5" to the repair shop after it refused to turn on , can anyone thing of a reason why his would happen and whats causing it , sorry I don't have any more information but I am just curious to know whats going on with it :)

Well, just for starters, I'm assuming that you mean using the on-off button on the back on the computer - if so, there are two situations: 1) Does the computer make any noises; or 2) Are there some noises (chimes, fan, etc.)? Also, let us know if the computer's age, recent macOS upgrades, attachment to other devices, such as a UPS. If the iMac makes NO noises, have you checked the AC power supply and also the power cable (hard to find another, granted)? If the latter are fine, then problems w/ the on-off button and/or power supply may be considerations - any recent lightening issues? I'm sure others will 'chime in' w/ more comments and advice; in the meantime, take a look at this Macworld Article. Good luck - Dave

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for your reply - I have tried other power cables and they work fine in other machines and stuff so I don't think its that, there is also no fan noice when I try and start it up.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thanks for incuding Apple device spec's in your profile.:)

A quick tip. If possible...always include at least the model year of the computers. There are tons & tons of 21.5" and 27" iMac's out there...and sometimes knowing the exact model can help with solving an issue (and also gives us an idea of it's age).

Regarding the 21.5" iMac issue. One possibility (although rare)...the power supply may have failed.

Thanks,

- Nick

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for your reply , My latest iMAC is 2019 and the 21.5" iMAC is about 2011, and I am not sure about the MacBook Pro but I think it could be (2014) - Although I am not sure :) is it an easy job to switch out the power supply If that is the issue?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thanks for the model year info. Knowing the exact model year is very important. Just like automobiles from year to year...computer models can change drastically from year to year. The difference between a 2011 21.5" iMac and a 2012 model can be huge.

As far as difficulty to switch out the power supply in an iMac. Again the definition of "easy" is different for different people. I consider swapping out the RAM in a 27" iMac to be easy. Switching out the power supply on ANY computer will not be "easy" (not easy like swapping out RAM on a 27" iMac).

If this is a 2011 21.5" iMac...I would not say swapping out the power supply is easy...but I wouldn't say it's super hard for an experienced person to do either (depends on a persons mechanical abilities & experience). Here's the ifixit.com procedure for replacing the power supply on a 2011 21.5" iMac"

iMac Intel 21.5" EMC 2428 Power Supply Replacement - iFixit Repair Guide

- Nick

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the info :)

Thanks for the model year info. Knowing the exact model year is very important. Just like automobiles from year to year...computer models can change drastically from year to year. The difference between a 2011 21.5" iMac and a 2012 model can be huge.

As far as difficulty to switch out the power supply in an iMac. Again the definition of "easy" is different for different people. I consider swapping out the RAM in a 27" iMac to be easy. Switching out the power supply on ANY computer will not be "easy" (not easy like swapping out RAM on a 27" iMac).

If this is a 2011 21.5" iMac...I would not say swapping out the power supply is easy...but I wouldn't say it's super hard for an experienced person to do either (depends on a persons mechanical abilities & experience). Here's the ifixit.com procedure for replacing the power supply on a 2011 21.5" iMac"

iMac Intel 21.5" EMC 2428 Power Supply Replacement - iFixit Repair Guide

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.