imac 20" c2d 2.16 GHz dead

Reaction score
So a friend of mine took his imac 20" c2d 2.16 GHz imac to the apple store in town because he reported that the mac when he was typing away suddenly tanked and went blank with no lights, no power no sound or ANY sort of activity that would even suggest that the computer was on.

Apple store employees did a diagnostic on it and determined that the logic board was fried and that was why it wasn't working. He's donated the imac to me because I have the exact one but I wanted to know if it really could be the logic board or if its the more likely the power supply.

I can obtain a new factory apple power supply for about $100 bucks in town but I'm hesitant to buy it because I don't want to be stuck with a power supply that didn't cure the problem.

How diligent are apple technicians at properly diagnosing the problem? Are logic boards on these imacs a common phenomenon? Not even a blink on the imac suggests to me that the power supply is the real culprit. I've done some digging on the net and it doesn't appear that logic boards really plague the intel imacs as much as say the powerpc g5 imacs.

I would LOVE to save his imac and put it to some use in my home.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

Reaction score
If you think it's the power supply why don't you just take the one from your other imac and test it out or vice-versa?

OP
S
Reaction score
I'm reluctant to mess with anything in my own imac as it was quite the ordeal to change out my own hard drive just 2 months ago.

I know that its a straightforward process but as my father told me "if it ain't broke don't mess with it"

I'm in no rush to get the thing going since I already have 2 macs at home.

maybe if i'm really bored I'll attempt it.

Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.