iCloud Questions

Reaction score
I'm still on Yosemite at the moment, and working on informing myself about features of later versions of OSX.

This article...

How to Disable iCloud Desktop & Documents on Mac

... has raised some concerns about iCloud. Perhaps you can further educate me?

To make a long story short, I don't want any of my files going anywhere. I don't need to sync with other Apple devices. Basically, I hate schemes like this (if I understand) where somebody grabs your data and then you have jump through hoops to get it back. I know Apple is trying to be helpful, but I'm not interested.

So, now that you get where I'm coming from, what can you tell me about your experience with iCloud. If I turn iCloud off the first time I boot up a new Mac, is that the end of it? What else should I know or be concerned about?

Thank you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Basically, I hate schemes like this (if I understand) where somebody grabs your data and then you have jump through hoops to get it back.
Fortunately, the Apple approach is not that kind of "scheme." Apple simply offers the opportunity to use iCloud for syncing Messages, Photos, Mail, Calendars, Reminders, Contacts, Keychains, etc, between your Mac and any iDevice also logged into your iCloud account. No "grab" of data, just an offer if you want to unload some files from the internal drive and store them elsewhere until you want them.

If I turn iCloud off the first time I boot up a new Mac, is that the end of it?
Yes, but that sort of cripples a lot of functionality with regard to syncing Messages, Files, Keychain data, etc. But, as you say, if you don't enable it on the first boot, it's off.

OP
F
Reaction score
No "grab" of data, just an offer if you want to unload some files from the internal drive and store them elsewhere until you want them.

Yes, but that sort of cripples a lot of functionality with regard to syncing Messages, Files, Keychain data, etc. But, as you say, if you don't enable it on the first boot, it's off.

Is iCloud off by default? If I do nothing, can I ignore this feature?

Or is iCloud on by default? If I don't want this feature, do I have to take action to deactivate it?

Thank you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You deactivate it in System Preferences and can do that on the first setting up of your account, as I recall. It's been a while, and I have iCloud on for most of my things (just not documents), so I may not remember correctly. I do think some parts are defaulted ON and others OFF.

BTW, when you decide that you want it after all (and I think you will), you can activate it in System Preferences (all or part).

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Jake is absolutely right.

If you go in to System Preferences, then click on iCloud, you can sign in and sign out of iCloud.

Moreover, you can select or deselect the various options for syncing such as Documents, Calendar, Mail, Photos and lots more.

If you are certain that you want nothing to do with iCloud, follow these steps, make sure that nothing is checked in the options and that you are not signed in to iCloud.

If you happen to have any other Mac devices, make that you are not signed into iCloud on these as well.

Any problems, please post back and ask.

Ian

OP
F
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys. So I just checked in Yosemite, and the iCloud feature is there, I just never noticed it.

At least on Yosemite, when you click iCloud in System Prefs it requests your Apple ID login. This suggests iCloud is off by default, at least on Yosemite. But it doesn't really say that, so I'm just guessing.

There is a link to learn more about iCloud, but the page it points to doesn't really explain whether iCloud is on by default or not.

At least in Yosemite, there doesn't appear to be a way to turn iCloud on or off, without first logging in to your Apple account.

Lots of guessing going on here, so feel free to correct any of this.

Imho, features that ship your personal data to distant servers should definitely be OFF by default. And that may be indeed be the case. It's just kind of hard to tell what the situation really is.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
When you upgrade to High Sierra or Mojave (as I just did) you will be presented with a very large dialogue box as part of the initial setup. It explains the options in the box represented by tick boxes. At this point you can choose to store your Documents and Desktop files in iCloud or not by simply ticking/unticking the appropriate box.
This is completely independent of the other iCloud features which I suggest you look at in Apple Menu > System Preferences > iCloud prior to logging in.
Let me say that although it is entirely up to you you would be denying yourself many useful and in some cases invaluable features of the macOS if you do not take advantage of the syncing and backup features of iClouds free 5Gb storage not to mention you will be constantly notified that you are not logged in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
+1 for what Rod said. Also, it's not that hard to tell what's going on. Open Sys Prefs and look at the iCloud pane. Dead simple.

OP
F
Reaction score
When you upgrade to High Sierra or Mojave (as I just did) you will be presented with a very large dialogue box as part of the initial setup. It explains the options in the box represented by tick boxes. At this point you can choose to store your Documents and Desktop files in iCloud or not by simply ticking/unticking the appropriate box.

This sounds good, thank you.

This is completely independent of the other iCloud features which I suggest you look at in Apple Menu > System Preferences > iCloud prior to logging in.

What other iCloud features? And, how would I go to SysPrefs prior to logging in?

Let me say that although it is entirely up to you you would be denying yourself many useful and in some cases invaluable features of the macOS if you do not take advantage of the syncing and backup features of iClouds free 5Gb storage not to mention you will be constantly notified that you are not logged in.

If you'd like to make the case for such invaluable features, please feel free, and I'll read to educate myself. Personally, I'm not arguing what anybody else should do, I just don't find auto-sending my work to Apple to be appealing. Others will of course feel differently, as is their right.

If I'm constantly notified I am not logged in, I'll go back to Yosemite. That's one reason I buy actual installers, so I don't have to wrestle with Apple if I want to switch to some other version of OSX.

I hear what you're saying about making one's own installers, that seems a good option for some.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's one reason I buy actual installers, so I don't have to wrestle with Apple if I want to switch to some other version of OSX.
As was said in another thread, don't buy installers. It's risky because you don't know what you are getting. It's also not necessary because you can download the installer from Apple, know what you are getting, and make your own installer. Keep them around for a while if you think you may want to go backwards. However, be aware that you cannot install a version older that what the Mac came with originally, so when you get new hardware, those old installer drives can be recycled because they will NOT install in the new system.

Features of iCloud that are handy:

1. Sync of pictures across all Apple devices
2. Sync of Keychain across all Apple devices
3. Sync of Contacts across all Apple devices
4. Sync of Calendar across all Apple devices
5. Sync of Reminders across all Apple devices

In addition, if you want to you can offload files from your Mac to iCloud, kind of like Dropbox and others, but not have them on the Mac until/unless you want them for some reason. That's optional, and I presently have it turned off because I may want something when I am NOT near a quick internet connection. I do, however, sync passwords from 1Password across devices using iCloud and I sync a journal product called Day One across iCloud to all my Apple devices.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
This sounds good, thank you.

What other iCloud features? And, how would I go to SysPrefs prior to logging in?

If you'd like to make the case for such invaluable features, please feel free, and I'll read to educate myself. Personally, I'm not arguing what anybody else should do, I just don't find auto-sending my work to Apple to be appealing. Others will of course feel differently, as is their right.

If I'm constantly notified I am not logged in, I'll go back to Yosemite. That's one reason I buy actual installers, so I don't have to wrestle with Apple if I want to switch to some other version of OSX.

I hear what you're saying about making one's own installers, that seems a good option for some.
As I'm sure you've figured out from MacInWin's post you're not forced to send your work to Apple. As a general rule what you send, or don't send, is up to you.

You don't access System Preferences prior to logging in. The settings are made/changed after you log in to your account and are retained each time you log in until you change them. This is one difference between macOS and Windows: Many of these similar services are on by default in Windows they are off by default in macOS.

Whether you get the installer from somewhere else or from Apple the process would be the same. If it isn't then the installer has been tampered with in some way. In other words, whether I download the file from Apple or purchase it from somewhere else the install process is the same.

The only reminders I can think of that keep recurring are:
1. How many days have pas since since the last backup was performed (if you use Time Machine and the backup drive isn't attached). Strictly speaking this is an OS feature not an iCloud feature.
2. Available updates to the OS or apps purchased from the App Store.
3. Need to update iCloud password for whatever reason.

All of these notices are easily dismissed / ignored.

Reaction score
+1 for what Rod said. Also, it's not that hard to tell what's going on. Open Sys Prefs and look at the iCloud pane. Dead simple.

It's not really dead simple... Things can get real complicated real fast .. just look at all the people who changed their eMail address and then found out they can't access their iCloud anymore. By that I mean, they have changed their Apple id on their phone and other Mac devices. All devices that were able to accept the "new" Apple id, will show up in the "Settings" file on the iPhone, when they click their name. Those devices can be located with the "Find My Phone" app .. and can also be locked and erased if necessary. If you have an older Mac which was using an older Apple id ... you will not be able to change the id without clicking on "iCloud" in System Preferences, and clicking on "Sign Out" ... which will disconnect the Mac from the iCloud, and delete all info stored on the cloud, AND also delete all info on your Mac that was stored on the iCloud.

When you re-launch your Mac, and click on "iCloud" in System preferences, you will be able to enter the new Apple id & Password in the iCloud log-in window, and your mac will join your other devices in the cloud and show up on your phone in "settings" when you click on your name.

But then, it may be missing a few things... perhaps your other iCloud devices can put them back?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.