icloud question

Reaction score
I have icloud up and running but wonder how I can see if it is actually storing all my data. Plan to upgrade the OS and as a novice am worried about losing data.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
You could open your browser > www.icloud.com > Sign in; and all your data can be seen & checked.

Or, from your Mac, you could Go into System Preferences > iCloud > Account details (you may need to sign in again).

There should be no anxiety about upgrading your OS as iCloud is, in a sense, independent of OS.

Anyway, we are here to help everyone and don't distinguish between "novices" and anyone else.

Ian

OP
O
Reaction score
As a follow-up does iCloud store the actual programs or only the data. Have MS Word for MACs on my computer and want to know if it will be saved or only the documents? Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
You will want to make your own local system backup. You will want to use either Time Machine, which is built in to macOS, or use some of the cloning software out there. With either of these options you will need an external disk of at least the same size (or larger) as your OS drive and any other data disks required for your machine.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
iCloud doesn't save Applications.

I think we need to make a distinction between:

1. iCloud as a means of syncing the following - to all Macs and iDevices signed into it: Mail, Contacts, Calendars, Reminders, Safari, Notes, Keychain etc

2. iCloud Drive, which is part of iCloud and is the place you put your documents, files, PowerPoint presentations and so on.

3. Photos, also now part of iCloud; but which needs to be "switched on" via the Photos App (Photos > Preferences > iCloud. Here you will find 3 ways of saving or sharing photos. The text associated with each option is reasonably self-explanatory).

I hope this helps. If I've not been clear enough, please come back.

Ian

OP
O
Reaction score
Now confused. Thought I could store everything in iCloud and if I had a failure/crash could then restore them all to a new machine. Do the other cloud services out there store applications or only data? I presently use Time Machine so this will backup the applications also? Then use it to restore?

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Time Machine (TM) is a great Backup (BU) app native to macOS. It can be used to find and restore that file that you inadvertently deleted, or indeed an app. It can restore all your apps, settings, email and suchlike (basically everything) to a new Mac or to a replacement Hard Disk Drive that failed.

But it is not bootable. On the other hand, cloning software like Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC) or SuperDuper! (SD!) make an exact copy (clone) of your HDD and is bootable. Many folk have both. A lot don't have any BU, so you are to be congratulated on making a start with TM.

Cloud services in general serve a different purpose - syncing data between platforms. True, they do keep data up there in the cloud, but when we are talking about your entire Mac contents, TM or a Clone are much better.

Keep the questions coming. That's what we are here for.

Ian

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Now confused. Thought I could store everything in iCloud and if I had a failure/crash could then restore them all to a new machine.

You're confusing iCloud with an on line backup service. That is not the purpose of iCloud as Ian has pointed out to you. Instead, invest in a good external hard drive and backup software as recommended by Ian.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.