iCloud notice

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I keep getting a pop-up that is in a similar format as a Calendar Event Alert, but it has an iCloud icon. It tells me that "iCloud Approval (is) Required" "This Mac is still waiting for approval by another device." (select) Not Now (or) Continue

When I click Continue, System Preferences opens up to the iCloud pane. That tells me, in a pop-up "This Mac must be approved from one of your other devices to use iCloud Keychain." "If no other devices are available, reset iCloud Keychain." (select) Reset iCloud Keychain... (or) OK

I don't know what will happen if I select the "Reset" option. Selecting "OK" does nothing but dismiss the pop-up, leaving the iCloud pane open.

So I guess Apple software programmers assume I know what to do next. I don't. Help, please!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
It sounds like 2FA is set on your account and the request for authorization was sent to some other device associated with the same AppleID. That could be an iPhone or iPad, or maybe even another Mac (I think). So the Mac you are on cannot access iCloud until it gets authorization from that other device.

You may be able to get rid if the notice by opening System Preferences and going to your iCloud account area and deselect the Keychain from syncing across your devices. I think that will require either your AppleID password or an administrator password to change the setting. If it's the AppleID, you could be caught in 2FA again.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If 2FA has been set on your account, you should receive an email from Apple Support informing you of that fact and at the same time giving you a chance to opt out.

Everytime you update any of your Apple devices, you will be asked to upgrade security if you have not already done so. The dialog is a bit sneaky so it's very easy to click okay without realizing you have implemented 2FA.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Do you have any other "Trusted" devices? iPhone, iPad etc. Usually just enabling Find My iPhone/iPad would add the device to your list of devices. But you may not have done that.
Here is a pretty good article from Apple on the topic; Two-factor authentication for Apple ID

OP
toMACsh
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Alright. No, 2FA was definitely not intentionally set up. I have not received an e-mail from Apple asking me to confirm 2FA setup.
Yes, I have an iPad and my better half has an iPhone.
The iPhone was just upgraded to an SE from whatever it was before, and we switched carriers. That might be the crux of the issue. When setting it up, we emphatically responded in the negative when asked about setting up 2FA.

I went into the iCloud preferences, as suggested above, to mess with Keychain settings. This resulted in having to change my iCloud password. (ugh!) I ended up selecting something that I think is now going to cause one of the other devices to ask for verification that the desktop Mini has permission to join them in sharing iCloud space/data/settings, or whatever the correct term is.

I'll see what happens, and then I'll be back to get help fixing the new mess I've made.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Take note, that in order to sync passwords with iCloud, you must have 2FA turned on. Apple will not allow you to sync passwords with iCloud without that. Safari will sync its bookmarks between your Mac, iPhone, iPad, etc without using 2FA but not passwords from the Keychain.

OP
toMACsh
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Side note on passwords: I did notice that I have to type in the password on the iPad for sites that I have accessed on the Mac. But, until now, the next time I go to log in on the iPad, the User Name popped up at the bottom and clicking that got me logged in. Now, a bank account does not behave that way. I have to type in the password every time. I'm thinking that is site-specific behavior. (right?)

--------

So, my iPad did not come up with a message that the Mac needs validation to join it on the Cloud. (I turned the iPad off, then back on.) Now, on the Mac, I'm told "This Mac cannot connect to iCloud because of a problem with "user name". I can pick Later or iCloud Preferences.

Picking iCloud Prefs opens that and demands my password. Fine, I enter it and the alert disappears. Now what? It does not give me further prompts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Side note on passwords: I did notice that I have to type in the password on the iPad for sites that I have accessed on the Mac. But, until now, the next time I go to log in on the iPad, the User Name popped up at the bottom and clicking that got me logged in. Now, a bank account does not behave that way. I have to type in the password every time. I'm thinking that is site-specific behavior. (right?)
Most likely. But look for a "remember me" box somewhere to see if it will at least remember your login name for you.
So, my iPad did not come up with a message that the Mac needs validation to join it on the Cloud. (I turned the iPad off, then back on.) Now, on the Mac, I'm told "This Mac cannot connect to iCloud because of a problem with "user name". I can pick Later or iCloud Preferences.

Picking iCloud Prefs opens that and demands my password. Fine, I enter it and the alert disappears. Now what? It does not give me further prompts.
I thin it's time to call Apple. Maybe they can help with the account actions.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Correct. Both of my banks do the same thing. They will not allow a password to be entered automatically by the system. However, using a password manager gets around that.

OP
toMACsh
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Correct. Both of my banks do the same thing. They will not allow a password to be entered automatically by the system. However, using a password manager gets around that.
I deal with two different banks. One allows my Mac to remember my login name and password on the iPad. Both allow it on my Mac. I have looked for the “save login/password button, to no avail.

Last edited:
OP
toMACsh
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Most likely. But look for a "remember me" box somewhere to see if it will at least remember your login name for you.

I think it's time to call Apple. Maybe they can help with the account actions.
Well, the second time was the charm. (iPad turned off and back on) A notice did come up, so now maybe the one on the Mac is satisfied.

OP
toMACsh
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nope. The message is back on the Mac. "iCloud Approval Required" ...must be verified(?) from one of your other devices... if another device is unavailable, reset Keychain

I don't know what I'm supposed to do in order to dismiss this for good. When the message came up on the iPad, I touched OK or something to give the go-ahead to do what it was asking for.

????

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nope. The message is back on the Mac. "iCloud Approval Required" ...must be verified(?) from one of your other devices... if another device is unavailable, reset Keychain

Are you sure you didn't inadvertently activate 2FA? It sure sounds like it.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I agree with chscag on this. My only addition would be not to reset KeyChain until after you have spoken to Apple. It's a last resort in my mind and likely to cause other issues.

OP
toMACsh
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am quite sure that 2FA has not been activated. I would be having even more trouble, like I did in the past, if that was the case.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did you call Apple? If 2FA is turned on, even accidentally, you have limited time to turn it off.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Have you read this Apple Support document to see if it helps with your situation?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.