I need help with specs when buying a macbook pro for photo and video editing

Reaction score
I am looking for some insight into how to spec out a new MacBook pro for some lighter photo and video editing. I recently picked up digital photography as a hobby with the birth of my daughter this June and taken to it pretty quickly already amassing thousands of photos to view and edit. For the time being I am worrying more about my camera and setting but knowing myself once I purchase a capable machine I will want to learn to edit my photos and videos like a (semi) pro. For now I will probably use the apple photos and iMovie but I want to spec out a machine that will grow with me and my needs (and since I am replacing a 2008 MacBook with this machine you can see I keep laptops for quite sometime, so I want it to be as futureproof as possible. Now with a new baby around I don't have the cash to upgrade all aspects but I can afford 1 decent upgrade from the base model MacBook pro. With that being said I have little experience and didn't know what will get me the most bang for my buck.

Here are my options:

A) Base model MacBook pro with 2.0ghz i5 processor, 8gb ram, intel iris graphics 540 (and 200-300 more dollars in my pocket)

B) Base model as in A, but with 16gb ram as upgrade

C) Base model as in A, but with 2.7 ghz i7 processor

D) touch bar upgrade- adds 2.9ghz i5 processor and intel iris graphics 550 as well as 2 more usb ports (still has 8gb ram)

Bonus question: Any recommendations for a photo editing program or app to upgrade to once I outgrow apple photos?

Thanks for the help!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Moved thread to better area. Hardware question = hardware area.:)

Thanks,

- Nick

OP
G
Reaction score
Thanks nick, obviously I am a noob on here, saw photography and thought I was in the right spot.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thanks nick, obviously I am a noob on here, saw photography and thought I was in the right spot.

It's all good Grosberg...just keeping things organized.:)

As far as your choice for a new MacBook Pro. Considering that you will be upgrading from a 2008 MacBook...anything you get will be a BIG upgrade!:)

The biggest things to remember are...the RAM is not upgradeable after purchase (get as much as you can afford)...and the internal storage is basically non-upgradeable (it may be later, but it will be expensive).

Bottom line. Configure the computer with all the RAM and storage space you think you will ever need while you own it.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.