I need a USB Camera

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 13,2, i7, 3Tb, 24G RAM
I am going to be doing some online math tutoring, so I need a camera I can point down at the desktop while I write out the equations. I am assuming I can plug the camera into a USB port on my iMac and share it over Zoom. This is new to me.

I don't need a broadcast quality camera, at least I don't think I do. I need one that can show my written notes clearly. I don't want bottom of the barrel, but I hope I don't need top end. Suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Do you have an iPhone available? I think that can work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Do you have a phone? iPhone or other? That's the easiest way to go.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Great minds, Sly, great minds!

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I do have an iPhone. Please explain further.

Jeff

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I do have an iPhone. Please explain further.

Jeff
Couple of options. You could try connecting with the charging cable to see if Zoom can see the camera, but I don't think that will work. But the other, and this WILL work, is to sign into the Zoom session on both your Mac and the iPhone as separate devices. Point the Camera of the iPhone at the material you want to display. Sign in on the iPhone with no audio to prevent feedback from one to the other. Then the "students" can use Gallery view on their laptops to pick the camera showing the work when you tell them to do so. I'd suggest a bright light for the work space, plus a high contrast pen with a wider nib than you might think so that the writing is nice and contrast-y when they look at it. You'll need some sort of brace to hold the iPhone in place and steady, like a tripod or something similar that can clamp the iPhone for you. If the students are on an iPhone, Zoom will only show one image, not the gallery, so they may have a harder time to see the iPhone feed.

I'm not a Zoom expert, so there may be other ways, but the two-sessions approach works. I use it for a group meeting every week where those in the room sit in a rough circle and the Zoomers have two views from opposite sides of the circle so they can see everyone in the two views.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This should work https://www.techrepublic.com/article/how-to-share-your-iphone-or-ipad-screen-during-a-zoom-meeting/

Edit to add additional info:

You'll need some sort of brace to hold the iPhone in place and steady, like a tripod or something similar that can clamp the iPhone for you. If the students are on an iPhone, Zoom will only show one image, not the gallery, so they may have a harder time to see the iPhone feed.

There are some stands here that might meet that need, I'm thinking that one of the gooseneck style holders might be best for offering a lot of control over the camera angle. See https://www.amazon.com/s?k=phone+holder+for+scanning&ref=nb_sb_noss_1?tag=macforums0e4-20

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I like the iPhone or iPad idevices idea as a webcam, and even an old one should work.

If not there are always these:

Or these:

Of course Amazon will have some as well but I didn't bother looking.

I didn't notice if audio was needed or not, but all the above devices have audio and video.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I took it from his original post that he is planning on writing the math out with the camera trained on his writing. If that is right, the two camera approach would work. The suggestions in the article would work if the video can be brought to the desktop of the iMac and then shared from there. I'll do some experimenting tomorrow to see if I can get that going somehow.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think you may be right. I missed that when I read the article earlier. Here is the Zoom support article that seems relevant. The steps needed are included as well as the hardware and software requirements. https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201379235

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think you may be right. I missed that when I read the article earlier. Here is the Zoom support article that seems relevant. The steps needed are included as well as the hardware and software requirements. https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201379235
I tested that this morning and it seems to work. I attached my iPhone by a cable to my MBP, then launched a meeting in Zoom, selected share (Had to give it permissions, and a small software install for sharing), then shared my iPhone by cable (that was an option) and launched the camera on the iPhone. What the camera saw was displayed on the zoom session, with the previous images shrunk. I tested by logging into the meeting on my iPad, where I could see the camera through the Zoom session and the small Picture in Picture of me from the MBP camera for the zoom session itself. So that should work. The good news is that @D'artagnan should be able to set it all up and test it in advance by just connect the iPhone, then opening a Zoom meeting and watching the screen on his Mac as he shares his iPhone camera images. That way he can see what it's going to look like as he writes out his math. He may need to experiment with the camera placement so the students can see what he is writing.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That way he can see what it's going to look like as he writes out his math. He may need to experiment with the camera placement so the students can see what he is writing.
My thinking exactly. That was part of the reason I suggested one of the gooseneck-type mounts. There should be enough flexibility to put the camera in a good position.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Or a small tripod, set up at the top of the page so that his had is not in the way. It may require some flipping of the image to get it to show properly. A bit of practice is probably in order!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
My thinking exactly. That was part of the reason I suggested one of the gooseneck-type mounts.
Or a small tripod, set up at the top of the page so that his had is not in the way.

If the suggestion of using an iDevice and various mounts doesn't work, what about attaching a small mirror (a small makeup mirror comes to mind) in front of the existing MBPro Isight camera angled to catch the necessary writing area???

Or would that reverse and make a mirror image and the written figures and everything would be backwards???

- Patrick
=======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Or would that reverse and make a mirror image and the written figures and everything would be backwards???

Yes, that would be rather awkward for students. :)

Sly and Jake have the right idea. Tripod mounts for the iPhone do exist and are used by photographers who take pictures with their iPhone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Tripod mounts for the iPhone do exist and are used by photographers who take pictures with their iPhone.
I have one from Joby. There are others out there, too. The key is to keep the camera steady and close to the work, with good lighting to avoid shadows.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Everyone, thank you for all the support and ideas. I will start trying some of this out and report later!

Jeff

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.