How to use the Nulea M501 mouse?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Studio, 32gb RAM, BenQ 270C Monitor, OS X 14.1.2
Does anyone know how to use the various buttons on the Nulea M501 mouse? The so-called user manual names the buttons but has no information as to how they are used. For example, the scroll wheel can also be "clicked" but as far as I can tell, this has no effect on anything. There are two clickable buttons named "Move Backward Key" & "Move Forward Key" but they do neither on any program I have tried them with. The "Move Forward Key" duplicates the F3 keyboard function key. The "Move Backward Key" does nothing at all.

Very frustrating and I'm hoping that someone has figured this all out.

Thanks.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Yes, I think this is what we are talking about;

This site does provide product support and live chat if you are willing to provide personal details and register your device (serial number).

Alternatively I found a User Manual here;

Last edited:
OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks.
Rod, this is the mouse I purchased. The User Manual you suggest was included with the unit and gives no guidance as to how the buttons work. The roller ball and left and right buttons are obvious but the others aren't. I did register the unit and sent an email. The answer I got dealt with how to pair the unit with my computer and did not answer my question.
I did not see the live chat feature so I will go back and try that.
I will say that pairing the unit with my Mac was simple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
You'll need to use 3rd party software that can map those buttons to do what you like. I use SteerMouse myself... great piece of software.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I think Lifeisabeach's suggestion may be your only option although I would try Live Chat with the manufacturer first.
After having a look at the User Manual myself it looks like the "keys" all have functions related to the operation of the mouse itself. It has several USB modes as well as an optional USB AR receiver. Band selection and DP switch which, I'm guessing here, is a Dots Per Inch control for sensitivity. All geared towards comparability with multiple platforms, networks and devices. The buttons that actually do something on your computer are standard, a scroll wheel (ball), left and right click buttons and up and down buttons which are the only uncommon feature and I assume mimic the keyboard up and down arrows.
What I getting at is that this mouse seems to be aimed at ergonomics, portability and compatability rather than multiple computer actions so changing the mouse function keys might not be possible.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
You'll need to use 3rd party software that can map those buttons to do what you like. I use SteerMouse myself... great piece of software.

Thanks Rod, I was just about to ask what software they recommend to use with that Mouse and I didn't see any link to download anything from their site which strikes me as a bit odd.

I've just recently ended up using Steer Mouse.app myself due to my iMac's incompatibility with Logitech's updated Mouse hardware and software but I don't know if the OP's new trackball mouse is supported.

At least they support a full 30-day free trial, but their button labelling could be a lot better then it is but their support is excellent and fast.

Finally my replacement Logitech mouse has finally started working and stayed working for a week now the way I want it. Getting a third-party Mouse to work properly should not be such a hassle on a Mac. It used to be a simple straightforward cakewalk.

Did I really miss the fact that Nulea doesn't even mention that a mouse driver would be needed, and no mention of where it could be downloaded from, or am I going completely blind.

I think I would be inclined to look at other mice myself with that kind of so-called support. But that's just my opinion.

One shouldn't have to spend another $20 for software, after purchasing a mouse to be compatible and used with a Mac.

I actually ended up having to spend another $20 for Smart Scroll, on top of the Steer Mouse price, and I'm really p'eed off with Logitech and their hardware and software changes, but that is also due to the fact that I am using older Mavericks Mac OS 10.9.5 software version.

I hope things work out for the OP.

- Patrick
=======

Last edited:
OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The Nulea representative Kay replied to my email and is attempting to be helpful but it seems that some of the mouse's features are not compatible with Mac OS:

Thanks for contacting us and letting us know your concerns.
For your question, I am sorry that the move backward and forward key are not compatible with Mac OS, maybe you could try it with another PC, hope for your kind understanding and patience.
If you need to use this mouse with your Mac, please give me your order number, we would make further solution for you.
Do not worry, we are here to help you.

Some of the M501's actions can be controlled through the Apple/Preferences/Mouse: scroll and tracking speed, left or right as the primary button, and the double click speed. I do not see that Nulua offers a separate driver for the unit. All in all, while I wish the forward and backward buttons worked as advertised, I am satisfied with the mouse and will keep it. It is a tremendous improvement over the Apple mouse that I have been using.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
The Nulea representative Kay replied to my email and is attempting to be helpful but it seems that some of the mouse's features are not compatible with Mac OS:

Thanks for contacting us and letting us know your concerns.
For your question, I am sorry that the move backward and forward key are not compatible with Mac OS, maybe you could try it with another PC, hope for your kind understanding and patience.
If you need to use this mouse with your Mac, please give me your order number, we would make further solution for you.
Do not worry, we are here to help you.

Some of the M501's actions can be controlled through the Apple/Preferences/Mouse: scroll and tracking speed, left or right as the primary button, and the double click speed. I do not see that Nulua offers a separate driver for the unit. All in all, while I wish the forward and backward buttons worked as advertised, I am satisfied with the mouse and will keep it. It is a tremendous improvement over the Apple mouse that I have been using.

Try SteerMouse. Trust me on this. The buttons don't work now because macOS doesn't have a way to map any buttons beyond left/right/middle. SteerMouse adds the ability to make use of ALL your mouse buttons. I don't know for absolute certain that it will work with Nulea mice, but since they don't require special drivers even in Windows, there's no reason to think they are any different from Logitech mice in terms of how the buttons get recognized. SteerMouse does support a Logitech mouse with a trackball similar to your mouse, so really it should be good to go.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
For your question, I am sorry that the move backward and forward key are not compatible with Mac OS, maybe you could try it with another PC

That Nulea M501 mouse certainly doesn't sound very Mac compatible, and I guess that is reflected in its rather reasonable cheap price.

Did you look into any of the Logitech models which are usually fully Mac compatible and fully Mac supported, but also a bit more expensive???

They usually have good Mac User reviews.

Just a suggestion.

- Patrick
=======

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, there are some similar ergonomic designs in the Logitech range and others, see the compatibility list column on the link for SteerMouse that Lifeisabeach provided in post #4. Of course if you have already purchased the Nulea and find it comfortable to use you may not want to purchase another. Personally I would find it very uncomfortable as I have a little RSI in my right thumb.
Still given that SteerMouse offers a 30 day trial;
"
A new license fee is US$19.99. An upgrade license fee from ver 4 is US$12.99. You can try SteerMouse free for 30 days.

Licenses of SteerMouse 5 are lifetime. You do not need to pay a fee every month/year. We provide minor upgrades (for example 5.0 -> 5.1) for free, but major upgrades (for example 5.0 -> 6.0) will be charged for."

I think you should give it a try to see if just the Up/Down Buttons can be remapped.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Try SteerMouse. Trust me on this. The buttons don't work now because macOS doesn't have a way to map any buttons beyond left/right/middle. SteerMouse adds the ability to make use of ALL your mouse buttons. I don't know for absolute certain that it will work with Nulea mice, but since they don't require special drivers even in Windows, there's no reason to think they are any different from Logitech mice in terms of how the buttons get recognized. SteerMouse does support a Logitech mouse with a trackball similar to your mouse, so really it should be good to go.
Thanks, SteerMouse looks very interesting and the free trial makes it attractive to see if it is compatible with my Nulea M501, which is not among the compatible mice list. I will check it out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.