how to get files to open on the monitor Im using?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 Retina 4K iMac. Monterey. 8GB RAM. Crucial 500GB external SSD
I have pdf files on the big HP monitor that is my main monitor, but they open on the smaller imac monitor. why? how do I fix this? thanks.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
You are opening the files in Preview or other PDF viewer? Can you not drag that window to the monitor if your choice?

OP
macgig
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 Retina 4K iMac. Monterey. 8GB RAM. Crucial 500GB external SSD
using preview. I can drag it, I thought there may be a setting to make it open in a certain monitor? I'm not aware of such a setting.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Yes, there is a way of making it open on a specific monitor if you want that application to always open on that monitor.

Open a PDF, any PDF, and once Preview is opened, right-click on it's icon in the Dock. Select Options and under the Assign To section, choose which display you want to assign Preview to.

Now, every time you launch Preview by itself or through a file it can load, it will automatically jump to the display you've chosen. If you have multiple spaces on your displays, one you select a specific display, it will automatically chose the space as well and always jump to that space & display.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.