how to find Mac OS

Reaction score
ok i am in possession of a macbook pro (2015??) it has the intel processor in it as shown in the photo, naturally with all ebay purchases it comes with an empty hard drive. so i need mac os... the box of mac os x tiger came with a purchase i made long time ago ..(emac i think) but the macbook pro doesnt boot from the disc , manjaro linux and windows 10 both run on the macbook pro but i am uncomfortable with 95C operating temperatures. so where can i download the mac os iso ? or where do i buy it ?(bootable disc please)

20221111-090311.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
If that's a 2015, then the oldest version of OS X that it will run is 10.10 Yosemite. So Tiger is completely out of the question. You can't get Yosemite on a disc. The "correct" way for you to get started is via Recovery. Here are a couple guides to walk you through what to do. Basically you have to reboot the Mac while holding down a key combination. There are a couple different methods... I'm not sure which is applicable in your case. Internet Recovery is a bit different from macOS Recovery. The simpler "Recovery" works from a hidden partition that gets updated as newer versions of macOS get installed. If that partition no longer exists, then Internet Recovery will be needed. That gets you back to what that Mac would have shipped with.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
when i installed linux or windows i deleted ALL partitions but ill try the tutorial

The Recovery partition is hidden and may well still be there, but possibly not. If not, then Internet Recovery is the alternative. This is embedded in the firmware, but the installer itself will get downloaded since that won't exist on the Mac in the firmware. It will require an internet connection of course, which you can set up while in that mode if on Wi-Fi.

OP
C
Reaction score
i think im stuck, i got to a point to which im supposed to select a hard disk to install macOS catalina but its telling me the hard drive is locked (windows 10 ???)

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
If you're in any sort of recovery console, then you should first erase the HD with Disk Utility (removing whatever was on there before) and then do the install on the clean drive.

OP
C
Reaction score
If you're in any sort of recovery console, then you should first erase the HD with Disk Utility (removing whatever was on there before) and then do the install on the clean drive.
tried doing things in disk utility but i have 0 options

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
tried doing things in disk utility but i have 0 options
Take pictures and show it to us, it'll make it easier for those of us familiar with Macs to provide better guidance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In addition to photos, can you verify which exact MacBook you have?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
On the back, you'll see a line that say "Designed by Apple in California. Assembled in China Model XXXX" and the next line has the serial number, we don't need your serial number, just the model number to get an idea.

If you're in the recovery console, click on the Apple icon on the top-left and choose About this Mac and you can tell us what you see.

OP
C
Reaction score
On the back, you'll see a line that say "Designed by Apple in California. Assembled in China Model XXXX" and the next line has the serial number, we don't need your serial number, just the model number to get an idea.

If you're in the recovery console, click on the Apple icon on the top-left and choose About this Mac and you can tell us what you see.
i kinda gave up so im reinstalling trusty linux but ill go back to recovery mode... under the macbook it sais A1278

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You "may" have to temporarily install to an external drive; boot from that; wipe the internal; then install macOS to it. Here are a couple discussions though to review:

EDIT: you also most certainly do not have a 2015 MacBook. That model identifier was used from 2008-2012. Which is... really odd. The list of models is in the link below, but you can plug in your serial number into the search box in place of the model identifier to narrow it down.

Last edited:
Reaction score
...under the macbook it sais A1278
According to MacTracker that's a mid-2012 model, otherwise known as a "MacBookPro9,2". MacTracker says that it can run up to macOS 10.15.7 (Catalina).

You can download a complete installer for Catalina, for free, from one of these links:

macappstores://apps.apple.com/app/macos-catalina/id1466841314?mt=12

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/macos-catalina/id1466841314?ls=1&mt=12

You will have to create an installer USB flash drive to install Catalina:

https://osxdaily.com/2020/07/14/how-make-bootable-macos-catalina-install-drive/

OP
C
Reaction score
According to MacTracker that's a mid-2012 model, otherwise known as a "MacBookPro9,2". MacTracker says that it can run up to macOS 10.15.7 (Catalina).

You can download a complete installer for Catalina, for free, from one of these links:

macappstores://apps.apple.com/app/macos-catalina/id1466841314?mt=12

‎macOS Catalina

You will have to create an installer USB flash drive to install Catalina:

How to Create a Bootable MacOS Catalina Installer Drive
this is what im talking about.. thank you

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
this is what im talking about.. thank you
You do need a working installation of macOS to do any of that. If you have access to another Mac, that would work by using the tip to make a bootable USB installer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.