How can I save iPhone battery life while using MapMyWalk App?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 16 Inch 2019 MacOS Catalina 10.15.3 (19D76)
When I use the MapMyWalk app by iPhone's battery life depletes quickly. How can I prevent this from happening? Is there a way to turn off all other apps on my iPhone while I use the MapMyWalk app so my battery life will last longer?

Thanks for your help.

I'm using an iPhone 8

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Turn the screen off and ensure it remains off, that's the biggest power draw. iOS only runs one app at a time, so apps in the background are just idled and not running, so nothing there to conserve battery life.

Also, if you're on the original battery of the iPhone 8, that's more to be blamed than anything else.

Download Coconut Battery and connect your phone to your Mac and it will tell you how healthy your battery is. If you are at less than 75% of design capacity, your full charge amount is down and a battery after a few years is just unable to maintain the same charge for as long as a new one and will discharge faster.

If you plan on keeping the iPhone 8 for a while and not upgrade, then think about upgrading to a new battery which will solve this problem.

OP
MacLover2011
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 16 Inch 2019 MacOS Catalina 10.15.3 (19D76)
Turn the screen off and ensure it remains off, that's the biggest power draw. iOS only runs one app at a time, so apps in the background are just idled and not running, so nothing there to conserve battery life.

Also, if you're on the original battery of the iPhone 8, that's more to be blamed than anything else.

Download Coconut Battery and connect your phone to your Mac and it will tell you how healthy your battery is. If you are at less than 75% of design capacity, your full charge amount is down and a battery after a few years is just unable to maintain the same charge for as long as a new one and will discharge faster.

If you plan on keeping the iPhone 8 for a while and not upgrade, then think about upgrading to a new battery which will solve this problem.
Thank you very much!

Reaction score
iOS only runs one app at a time, so apps in the background are just idled and not running, so nothing there to conserve battery life.

I did not know that. (y)

Are you saying that the new battery has been upgraded from the original battery, or are you saying that the OP will be able to "start from scratch" but will eventually encounter the same battery issues as the new battery ages?

Thanks. :)

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I did not know that. (y)

Are you saying that the new battery has been upgraded from the original battery, or are you saying that the OP will be able to "start from scratch" but will eventually encounter the same battery issues as the new battery ages?

Thanks. :)
The latter. A LiON battery will function really well for a few years and then it is unable to attain the same level of charge and the discharge rate increases as well. This is normal over a number of charge/discharge cycles.

When you replace it with a new battery, you give the device new life.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My upgrade from my iPhone 6S to iPhone XS came when one day I woke up in the morning, took the phone off the charger where it had sat all night, used it for about 10 minutes and was looking at 72% battery life, it got down to 50% shortly after that, so that was a severely failed battery.

Replaced it with a iPhone XS and brand new it would get to about 65% battery life with my normal usage.

Have a iPhone 13 Pro now and I'm had 85% battery life 3/4 of my day with my normal usage, so the batteries are getting better and newer batteries perform better than old/aged ones.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
It's worth pointing out also that a lot of devices running iOS 15.4 suffered from excessive battery drain. 15.4.1 was supposed to resolve that, but I'm still seeing excessive drain here on my iPhone and iPad. There's a thread on Reddit and a couple commenters say 15.5 beta finally fixed their battery drain problem.

SO... the greater point here is that the battery drain problem that the OP is facing may be from bugginess in iOS, and not from that app.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
It's possible to replace an iPhone battery at home but beware the impossible glue Apple use to stick it in! Did it for my cousin's old iPhone 6 but punctured the battery casing prising it out and thought I might have to buy her a new phone! My 12 lasts up to two days, depending on how many photos/videos taken, and still shows 98% battery health after almost 12 months of daily use.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.