Holding power button to shutdown

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" Macbook Aluminum, 2.0 GHz 2 GB DDR3 (Late 2008)
Does this harm the computer in any way?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
I don't believe that lets the Mac run the appropriate shut down procedure so I wouldn't recommend it. Why are you shutting down anyway? Just put it to sleep when you're not using it unless it's gonna be unused for a week or more.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" Macbook Aluminum, 2.0 GHz 2 GB DDR3 (Late 2008)
I don't believe that lets the Mac run the appropriate shut down procedure so I wouldn't recommend it. Why are you shutting down anyway? Just put it to sleep when you're not using it unless it's gonna be unused for a week or more.

The computer locked up while playing a game, and I had to shut down by holding the power button for like 7 seconds. Was just wondering if that might cause some sort of issue or anything. Did the same thing once with a PC and it ended up not booting up the same again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
I don't think you should have a problem with doing it once or twice in that situation however try not to make a habit of it. Did you try to force quit and all of that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo 2 GB RAM
The computer locked up while playing a game, and I had to shut down by holding the power button for like 7 seconds. .
The next time a game locks up/freezes just press and hold "command option() escape" to force quit the game.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.