help with external dvd driver issues

Reaction score
I'm having issues with my external dvd driver and my MacBook Pro communicating. I have a mid 2015 MacBook Pro running El Capitan 10.11.6 and my external LG dvd driver has been working fine until yesterday. Then it started not being recognized by my Mac and telling me it could not verify that the data was successfully burned onto the dvd. Then on a cd it would give me an error of unable to connect to device error code 0x80020020. I plugged it into my other MacBook Pro running Snow Lepard and it ran fine...until today. Now neither Mac can find the dvd burner. Anyone have any suggestions??? Thanks!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
From what was mentioned. If this external optical drive is not working on two different computers...each with a different OS version on it...AND...the drive worked on both computers previously. Seems to be a strong indication that the drive has failed or is failing.

- Nick

p.s. Thread moved to better area.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks Nick! I've read mixed postings on the compatibility of the new El Capitan and external dvd drivers. It just seemed extremely odd to me that it worked fine on both computers two days ago and then yesterday that all changed. First with the new MacBook Pro and then today with my older MacBook Pro.

So now I'm challenged with determining what the best choice of a new external dvd driver is to purchase...any suggestions?
Thanks!
Cindy

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thanks Nick! I've read mixed postings on the compatibility of the new El Capitan and external dvd drivers.

Just an FYI. El Capitan is not exactly the "new kid on the block" anymore.;) Mac OS Sierra was released about 3 weeks ago.:)

It just seemed extremely odd to me that it worked fine on both computers two days ago and then yesterday that all changed. First with the new MacBook Pro and then today with my older MacBook Pro.

This is the way things go when they break/fail. One day they work…the next they don't. It sure would be nice if they said to us…"I'm going to fail in 48 hours…please replace me.";)

Of course I could be wrong about this drive failing. But since you tried it on two different computers…each with a different OS version. It sort of suggests hardware and the OS aren't issues. It is possible that the cable is bad. You of course would need a 2nd cable to test this theory.

Another possibility is the drive could be dirty…and needs a cleaning/blowing out with some canned air.

So now I'm challenged with determining what the best choice of a new external dvd driver is to purchase...any suggestions?

If you do decide to get something new…you don't need anything special. Just about any external USB connected optical drive will work. Check out OWC (macsales.com), new egg.com, or many other sites that sell electronics.

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
If you do decide to get something new…you don't need anything special. Just about any external USB connected optical drive will work.

Are any drivers required or download needed when using macOS Sierra and an optical drive, or has Apple still actually kept optical drivers in and working or in case one adds one…??? Just curious…

- Patrick
======

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I have an external drive running under Sierra and haven't added any drivers. If there were any drivers they were left over from multiple OS upgrades ago.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And my cheap nasty old Samsung performs well under El Capitan and now Sierra. I wonder if on some brabds there is compatibility problems between USB3 and USB2?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
It is possible that the cable is bad. You of course would need a 2nd cable to test this theory.

Can one assume that if the optical drive shows up in System Information that the cable and connections are OK???

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.