help with AirPort wireless connection on an older Mac

Reaction score
I'm using a Mac G5 running Leopard (OSX 10.5.8). Yes, it's a stegosaurus, but I still love it.

I've been hard-wired to the Internet via ethernet for many years, but now would like to join a wireless network that AT&T set up in my apartment.

The Mac did not have an Airport icon, so tonigth I installed AirPort Utility 5.6.1 for Leopard/Snow Leopard.

I also purchased a Hornettek wireless N150 wireless adapter which is supposedly compatible with Mac OSX 10.* (but it did not come with a driver and none seems to be available on the Hornettek website).

Still having problems:

1) The AirPort icon still does not appear on the menu bar (even after reboot).

2) I can start the AirPortUtility.app by finding it in the Finder, but after "Discovering Wireless Networks" it says "AirPort Utility was unable to find any AirPort wireless devices."

3) AirPort does not appear in the System Preferences/Network menu.

Basically, my question is this: Does AirPort software only work with/recognize Apple hardware? Or should I be able to use it to connect to any wireless network? (My wireless network works fine on my Windows laptop, so I know it's working.)

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welocme to thef orums.

These things are very unreliable. For your G5 suggest you purchase an Airport Card and install that. There are a couple of different cards for the various models and can't help further as you have provided no details on your PowerMac. Note the late 2005 Dual Core models use a combined Airport/Bluetooth card.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I am not finding anything about an OS X driver though their site claims to support multiple operating systems. Pages on some sites even mention OS X support. Went through this several years ago with a first generation Mac Pro. Just a couple of observations:

1. It might be worth looking at alternate adapters. I was not impressed with the level of information/support which seems to be available on their site.
2. If you can find out the brand of wireless chip in that device and go to the site for that manufacturer you may have some luck with a driver. Note that the brand of chip used may not be, and often isn't, the same as what's on the outside of the device.

OP
G
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I'll just get an Airport card and return this POC card to Fry's Electronic tomorrow.

If you do happened to know which card I need, it would appreciate any info:

Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro3,1
Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz
Number Of Processors: 2
Total Number Of Cores: 8
L2 Cache (per processor): 12 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 1.6 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MP31.006C.B05
SMC Version (system): 1.25f4
Serial Number (system): NQ92102BXYK
Hardware UUID: 061780FE-7B58-5F3E-8A15-930A6CD3289D

G'day and welocme to thef orums.

These things are very unreliable. For your G5 suggest you purchase an Airport Card and install that. There are a couple of different cards for the various models and can't help further as you have provided no details on your PowerMac. Note the late 2005 Dual Core models use a combined Airport/Bluetooth card.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
LOL, that ain't no G5 man! If it's a Mac Pro 3.1 like you state, it should already have an Airport card unless one didn't ship with that machine. Anyway, make sure you get the right card since you do not have a G5 which is an entirely different machine and architecture.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Charlie Mactracker tells me the Airport Card in the Mac Pro 3.1 was optional, and I recall the local high school Arts Department ran some without cards so it is possible. This is the one you want Ghostwriter:-

Amazon.com: Apple Airport Wireless Card For Mac Pro - Network Adapter - 802.11b, 802.11a, 802.11g, 802.11n (draft) (66436H): Computers & Accessories

And fitting:-

Wifi and Bluetooth Card Installation in a 3,1 - MacVidCards.com

For what it is worth, the Airport card is under the Bluetooth Card, so if you want Blue tooth, now is the time to get a Bluetooth Card.

OP
G
Reaction score
Thanks for your "help," Administrator.

LOL, that ain't no G5 man! If it's a Mac Pro 3.1 like you state, it should already have an Airport card unless one didn't ship with that machine. Anyway, make sure you get the right card since you do not have a G5 which is an entirely different machine and architecture.

Last edited:
OP
G
Reaction score
Thanks. Very helpful!

Charlie Mactracker tells me the Airport Card in the Mac Pro 3.1 was optional, and I recall the local high school Arts Department ran some without cards so it is possible. This is the one you want Ghostwriter:-

Amazon.com: Apple Airport Wireless Card For Mac Pro - Network Adapter - 802.11b, 802.11a, 802.11g, 802.11n (draft) (66436H): Computers & Accessories

And fitting:-

Wifi and Bluetooth Card Installation in a 3,1 - MacVidCards.com

For what it is worth, the Airport card is under the Bluetooth Card, so if you want Blue tooth, now is the time to get a Bluetooth Card.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.