Help Converting Cassette Tapes to Digital

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Macbook Pro. I am trying to convert old cassettes to digital. I don't understand a lot of tech terminology and will be here for years unless I can talk to somebody about this. Some of which may or may not be because my laptop doesn't have normal USB ports, as I understand it anyway. But after which I don't know how to work around that and, really, have no idea what I'm doing. Thank you.

—Chris

Last edited:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Some of which may or may not be because my laptop doesn't have normal USB ports, as I understand it anyway.
This is absolutely no problem. Your 2019 MacBook Pro very likely has USB-C ports...and all you need is a USB-C to USB-A port adapter.:) A USB-A port is what most folks might call a "normal" USB port.;)

As far as the conversion of cassette tapes to digital...here's a pretty good article that should help explain things::)

HTH,

Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
To add to what Nick said, you can get the USB-C/USB-A adapter from Apple, among others: USB-C to USB Adapter

OP
C
Reaction score
Nick, hi! Thank you for the fast response. I visited the article to which you linked me and now have further questions. It claims a tape deck is best for audio quality and, thus, is my preferred option. This is what it says about connecting it:
  • Connect the tape deck to your computer: This is how your computer records and digitizes the audio. It’s just like plugging your tape deck into a speaker. But every computer and tape deck is different, so you might have to buy some cables:
    • 3.5mm microphone input: You can use a male-to-male 3.5mm cable to connect your tape deck’s 3.5mm headphone output to your computer’s microphone input (the blue one). If your tape deck’s headphone port isn’t 3.5mm, you can use an RCA to 3.5mm cable.
    • 1/4 inch to 3.5mm: If your tape deck has a 1/4-inch headphone jack, you can use a 1/4-inch-to-3.5mm cable. Some tape decks output audio with two separate 1/4-inch jacks. In that case, you’ll need a stereo 1/4-inch-to-3.5mm cable.
    • Capture card: If your computer doesn’t have a 3.5mm microphone input, you can plug a cheap audio capture card into its USB port to add microphone functionality.

I read the above and my head swirls. But insofar as I am able to make sense of it, I notice that it doesn't mention USB wires or ports, at least until the end maybe. The device to which the article links me (their recommendation, I presume) is this one: Amazon.com

I have no qualms purchasing it, but would like reassurance that it is compatible before doing so. Incidentally, I already have one of these: Amazon.com

For whatever it's worth, I have tried the article's first recommendation of a USB Cassette Converter. When plugged in, my laptop's recognition of the device would be spotty, flashing as if recognized, then disappearing mere moments later. I took it to the Genius Bar, but to no avail. Their theory was to blame the device. And they are probably right, as it was only one brand/model of a USB Cassette Converter, of which there are probably many more. Mine was bought from Walmart, should that make any difference. But my point—and forgive me for taking so long to make it—is that why not just spring for the tape deck at this point?

And thank you to Jake for your additional advice.

So but in sum, Idk if the "male-to-male 3.5mm cable" goes into the USB port (that is, with or without the adapter) or elsewhere.

Thank you,

Chris

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So but in sum, Idk if the "male-to-male 3.5mm cable" goes into the USB port (that is, with or without the adapter) or elsewhere.
Your 2019 MacBook Pro should have a 3.5mm port near one of the USB-C ports.

Generally this is used for wired headphones, a microphone, or as a "line-in" for the data/music coming for whatever device you may be using to "get the music into the computer".

Be it an old-school tape deck...or some sort of fancy electronic gizmo that may have been mentioned in the article...where you insert the cassette tape into it to get the music into the computer.

Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks again Nick. I think I know the port to which you are referring. I see it on the right-hand side of my laptop.

Are you able to tell from the advertisement—

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00009V3TT/?tag=macforums0e4-20

—which of these …
  • 3.5mm microphone input: You can use a male-to-male 3.5mm cable to connect your tape deck’s 3.5mm headphone output to your computer’s microphone input (the blue one). If your tape deck’s headphone port isn’t 3.5mm, you can use an RCA to 3.5mm cable.
  • 1/4 inch to 3.5mm: If your tape deck has a 1/4-inch headphone jack, you can use a 1/4-inch-to-3.5mm cable. Some tape decks output audio with two separate 1/4-inch jacks. In that case, you’ll need a stereo 1/4-inch-to-3.5mm cable.
  • Capture card: If your computer doesn’t have a 3.5mm microphone input, you can plug a cheap audio capture card into its USB port to add microphone functionality.
… I will need?

Or, alternatively, will the tape deck come with one or all of them? I just can't make heads or tails of this stuff.

—Chris

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Typically tape decks don't have a headphone jack on them...since tape decks were supposed to be part of a home stereo system (amplifier, tuner, record player, tape deck, CD player, etc.). The amplifier or tuner typically had the headphone jack on it.

In this case with this tape deck...the Amazon description does not mention a headphone jack. If you look at the PDF user manual (link further down the Amazon page)...it also doesn't mention a headphone jack...but there is a graphic of the unit (front & back) in the user manual...and I also do not see a headphone jack.

But all is not lost. On the back are the typical RCA jacks...and it's very possible you can get an RCA jack to 3.5mm cable adapter...just like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000I23TTE/?tag=macforums0e4-20

With this adapter...you should be able to connect the 3.5mm male to male cable between the tape deck & the MacBook Pro.:)

HTH,

Nick

p.s. If you do order this tape deck and adapter (or something else from Amazon)...please use the Amazon link on any Mac-Forums page. Each purchase helps the site.:)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

This is what I would do..... no fuss, no muss, no cuss. But it will cost you some $$:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16” M1max 32/1tb and bunch of other mac/apple stuff
I’ve digitized a pile of cassettes, I’ve always used an rca to 3.5 mini (stereo) cable, I use the audio out rca on the back (next to the in) on the tape deck (I think they all have this) and have used the audio line in 3.5 jack on the MacBook Pro, (also a headphone jack?). Sometime later I’ve also used a fairly cheap presonus usb audio interface to take the audio but it’s probably not nessecary really if you have a audio line in.

just going into the line jack on the mbp worked just fine. I used audacity (free download) and was able to set the levels well and capture the audio. I made separate wav files for each song (manual way) but I found just running the whole tape side and afterwards selecting each song and creating separate wav files easier.

if you have a tape deck the rca/mini plug cable is the cheapest easier way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" Late 2013 16gbRam 500gb SSD Drive
One thing to look out for is make sure your cassette deck has a pre amp built in if not you may need to buy one. I wanted to record some vinyl onto my Mac, but unfortunately my old Sony record deck which worked fine with Windows would not do so on my Mac, no built in pre amp. I bought a Behringer uControl, RCA in USB out and also has an additional headphone socket.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.