Having trouble with my keyboard...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac High Sierra Mac OS 10.13.6
Hi All,

I have a iMac, late 2009, running Sierra, 10.12.6. Lately I've experienced some problems with my keyboard: 1) When I try to do a upper case O, the shift key on the left side of the keyboard doesn't work at all (I don't get anything at all, upper or lower case) but when I use the shift on the right side of the keyboard, this works fine as usual, for all functions, including the upper case O. Now the left side shift key does everything it's supposed to do with all functions, except doing the upper case O.

Secondly, the right arrow key, at the bottom right of my keyboard only now works in certain situations, but only about 1/3 of the time. These two problems started at the very same time.
I've changed out the batteries (2x AA batteries) in the keyboard and I have 100% battery charge, as per the keyboard icon in the system preferences.

What could be causing this?

Thanks,

Bob M.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hard to say what could be causing it. Try a SMC reset first and if that doesn't work, try another keyboard to see if that's working okay. Preferably try a wired keyboard if you have one handy in case it might be a BT problem.

Repairing a defective or worn keyboard just isn't worth the time and effort as it's much easier to just replace it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Worth upending the keyboard and tapping it on a tabletop to release all the dust which will have accumlated over the years. Also give it a good clean with an advised liquid.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac High Sierra Mac OS 10.13.6
Hi,

Good suggestions, which I will do. Another clue to my problem: I put in 2x brand new AA batteries into the keyboard and after about 2~3 days I'm getting a warning message the the batteries are very low - 3%. It seems some keyboard malfunction is draining the battery power very quickly. I wonder if it's worth try to get this keyboard apart for a thorough cleaning, for one last try before buying a new keyboard?

What's an SMC reset? And what's the advised or best cleaning fluid for a iMac keyboard?

Thanks,

Bob M.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.