Has anyone tried other devices but decided on AppleTV?

Reaction score
I just got an AppleTV on a whim. I am an Apple person....MBPs and an iPhone 6. My bluray was acting janky in terms of streaming and I watch a lot of Hulu and Netflix. I also wanted more content (Disney, ESPN, and others). I have it set up and it seems to be working fine but I did not realize there were things like Roku and Amazon Fire TV out. I am thinking maybe I should have checked out those other devices, mainly due to their having more stuff available. Has anyone actually tried the other devices and preferred AppleTV? Do you think they will add more channels soon?

Sent from my iPhone using Mac Forums

Last edited:
C

chas_m

Roku is, IMO, a perfectly worthy competitor to the Apple TV. It has some advantages and it has some disadvantages, but I would call it more or less equal.

Fire TV = meh. I don't feel like being Bezo's, uh, 50 shades of grey girlfriend, so I'd rate it as lesser than the Roku. It hasn't sold well.

I think the bottom line is this: if you're in the Apple ecosystem elsewhere (iPhone, etc), the Apple TV is going to be your best option and a strong long-term bet to learn new tricks. If you need a streaming box that will play virtually any of the pirate video formats, you probably don't want an Apple TV. If you don't like being spied on by Amazon, you probably don't want the Fire TV (because that's really the only reason it exists).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I just got an AppleTV on a whim. I am an Apple person....MBPs and an iPhone 6...................

Hi HazelGirl - we have plenty of Apple gadgets in the house but also two Roku devices which works fine w/ us - there are plenty of choices w/ Roku and the device is easy to use, so we've been happy.

NOW, the Apple TV does offer AirPlay if you want to mirror content on your compatible Apple devices; for us, it is not an important feature, so will stick w/ Roku @ the moment - our son had both for a while but believe he marginally prefer his Roku device. In other works, pretty much a 'toss up' unless you really want Apple's AirPlay technology. Dave :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I have both the ATV and a Roku stick (option with Oppo BDP-103) but use the ATV more since it integrates flawlessly with my other Apple devices.

OP
H
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I have two weeks to return my ATV so ill give it a few days and maybe hit the store this weekend to check out Roku. How's is ATV in terms of lag and video quality of you compare to Roku?

Sent from my iPhone using Mac Forums

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Thanks guys! I have two weeks to return my ATV so ill give it a few days and maybe hit the store this weekend to check out Roku. How's is ATV in terms of lag and video quality of you compare to Roku?

Hi again HazelGirl - my Roku device has an HDMI cable going to a 1080p HDTV; the Apple TV has an HDMI output only - so if you HDTV is similar, then high quality video is provided by either device. Audio is dependent on your input source, i.e. if just into standard TV speakers, then rather poor; however, if an optical input into a good stereo or multi-speaker arrangement, then excellent.

Now, let be just address the Roku relative to your question on 'lag' - Apple's AirPlay technology has changed - some information HERE, so others may have to 'chime in' and of course this discussion may impact on your decision.

As to the Roku, streaming quality, lags, and buffering will be dependent on your Wi-Fi signal transmission and thus your ISP - my Wi-Fi 'bottleneck' is my Time-Warner connection to my modem (rented from T-W) - I routinely get about 20 Mbps download speeds on my Wi-Fi network in the den (the location of my HDTV & Roku); if that rate drops (especially in the early evening), then I will loss the signal and will have to wait; streaming audio, e.g. Spotify or Pandora has not been an issue; streaming movies & TV shows (e.g. Amazon, Netflix, etc.) is an intermittent problem - I usually rent only SD quality (cheaper by a buck or two and does not require as high a bandwidth).

SO, you have some decisions to consider and make - Dave :)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I use both the ATV and the Roku - they are both comparable in quality of streaming which is going to be dependent on your connection. With my 30 Mbps connection I rate both of them very good.

The Roku has multiple Ultraviolet sources, Vudu, MGo... along with Amazon - both have Netflix, HBO Go - neither of them have Cinemax's streaming. ATV has Airplay which works great from any of our Macs or iDevices even when streaming HD content.

I don't have to pick between them, so I don't. Without any knowledge of what it is you want to watch from one of these devices, best I can advise, get one - either one - then when you want something only available on the other one, get that one also. If you already have iTunes content you want to watch or you want to stream what you're watching on your Mac or iPhone go with the ATV first. If not, I'd likely get the Roku first.

Reaction score
I tried icon bit 3d movie deluxe - dog**** on android. It didn't play half of promised formats.
I also have Samsung and Panasonic smart TV, both have troubles with playing m4v files. I like samsung more (because browser).
So Apple TV is best device for the ones who has a lot of Apple devices but there are some troubles also.
At first it couldn't connect to drives in local network without computer. I like to watch movie on ATV but i don't want turn my laptop or desktop on any time I'm going to watch something.
At second I can't connect there cable channels or any broadcasting network. Therefore I have to turn from HDMI out to analog and vice versa.

However surely its one of the best TV device

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.