grey screen with red apple logo won't boot up

OP
T
Reaction score
Sound good. Thank you for your help. I will be going to a town that has an apple store in a few weeks and will do it then. Thanks again!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
No worries, but added 2 EDIT's to the bottom of my Post above, that could help in some way . . . Good luck, and be sure to let us know how you got on.

Cheers

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I will be going to a town that has an apple store in a few weeks and will do it then. Thanks again!!!!

If you're talking about replacing the hard drive. Replacing the hard drive is relatively doable by most users. And almost no way you want Apple to do it…because it will probably be expensive. AND…why wait "a few weeks"??;)

Most folks just purchase a replacement hard drive via the internet. Then follow the replacement procedure from ifixit.com.:)

And…a place like OWC is a great place to get the replacement HD. But there are many other places as well.

- Other World Computing (OWC) - Performance Upgrades For Your Mac

* Nick

Reaction score
This problem

Tommoe did you get to the bottom of this? I've just had exactly what you've described, in a MacBook with a fairly new ssd already installed. Being between Christmas and New Year of course nobody's available to help out.

OP
T
Reaction score
Hi Jasonsputnik Yes I did get to the reason this happened. I took it to the mac store and they did some tests......my video card was defective. It was a known problem with the card and they replaced it for free even though I had no warranty Hope this helps

Reaction score
Hi Tommoe - thanks for coming back so quickly. That's a relief I think! I'll look into that. Happy new year!

C

chas_m

The mystery of the "red" apple at startup solved! Bad video card distorting the colors of the screen! Jason, if you are having the same issue, get thee hence to an Apple Store -- the OOW replacement program for that law expires in two months!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Time for a new hard drive. Read other posts. Of course you do have a backup on an external drive as you are about to lose everything.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.