Got my new Mac

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Finally got my new 2022 M1 MBP. Arrived 3 days ago, migrated all my data via WiFi with Migration Assistant.
A few apps required re activation otherwise nil issues.
It is of course better in every way than my 2015 13" MBP and I really can notice the extra space on the 14" display.
Very happy with my choice.😀

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
And we are as delighted as you at your new purchase :) .

I was interested to see that you migrated your data via WiFi rather than via cable attachment. I guess this is the way that WiFi is going, always on the understanding that up and download speeds are adequate.

Here in the UK, British Telecom is our landline provider and also provides broadband. Several other companies also provide broadband, but they all have to use British Telecom wires/cables.

British Telecom has indicated that by 2024, all landlines will be obsolete and replaced by broadband which will require adjustments to our landline telephones. Fine for those with good coverage, but large areas of the UK have broadband speeds of under 10mbs. Also, if there is a power cut, all communications are lost. At present, our landline phones still work during a power cut.

( I've used the full name of British Telecom, normally abbreviated here as BT to avoid confusion with Bluetooth which is often shortened to BT. Our British Telecom is in fact owned by the Spanish Telefonica)

Ian

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Congrats Rod! I'm sure after you get a chance to test drive it...you'll have lots of juicy details to share!:)

Nick

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Hi Ian, because I did not have the necessary cables but did have plenty of time it seemed worth a try. Charlie had recommended the method and all having just done a data transfer for Annie's new iPhone 13 in much the same way I thought why not give it a go.
It really is pretty seamless. You just follow the prompts on each device. Initially the process was estimated to take 4 hrs and 49 min but it ended up being just a bit over two hrs.
I did nothing on the M1 other than set the language and login to my 5G WiFi band. Both devices were running Monterey so I did not bother to setup an account on the M1 just proceeded with the Migration.
After completion the M1 updated to macOS 12.3

The 14" screen really does make a difference, I can increase the zoom on my browser and still fit in the same amount of content. The sound is brilliant compared to the 2015 MBP and I'm very happy not to have the Touch Strip. Unexpectedly Apple decided to keep the Touch ID on the power button which is really handy. I usually unlock with my Apple Watch but now I can add Annies fingerprint to this device just as I have mine on her 2018 MBP.

I'm not going to go into performance, I'm sure you can imagine.;)

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Nick, I've hardly had my hands off it for the past 3 days but I'm settling back into my old routine now.
Ian, I suppose it's a consequence of privatisation but I don't think we went quite as far as selling our national telecommunications body to another country. :rolleyes:

PS. we don't have a landline telephone any more, not since our previous house here about 8 years ago. The line rental was exorbitant and we never really used it but I do get what you say about power failure. Here in Melbourne a localised power failure does not normally effect our cellular service.

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Honestly migrating from an old device to the M1 is not difficult but weeks later I still find little things to “fix” for example; the other day I hosted a Zoom meeting and discovered I could not screen share a document in another open window. After the meeting a quick check revealed that screen sharing for Zoom was no longer ticked in Accessibility. I’ve run into this issue with some apps but not others. This seems to be an Apple security thing and in each case it was easy to put right.

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
One little thing that bothered me eas that despite trimming my apps and data before migration and adding one new game (admittedly a big file) I only had 60GB free.
Then I discovered that an app I had not bothered to keep a Mac Paw app called Keeper 2 had a storage folder called MyVault. This folder contained everything that had ever been stored in Keeper 2. A grand total of 132GB.
It is definitely worth having a look at About This Mac > Storage > Manage (Storage).
You can display Documents data under 5 seperate Tabs and if your total, like mine was, is over 100GB I suggest checking individual files.
I now have over 200GB free and I'm a happy camper.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Thanks for that reminder Rod. I spent some time yesterday moving my Monterey install from an external drive to the internal drive on my iMac. After the migration I noticed that I didn't have as much free space as I thought I should have had.

After I read your post, I looked at things and found several large files that were either duplicated elsewhere or should have been deleted long ago. I also found a folder or two that I had temporarily moved into the documents folder and forgotten about.

Your method was much more efficient that my usual poke at it with a sharp stick method folder by folder.

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You're welcome, it's easy to overlook that "Manage" button.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.