Google asking for password confirmation for use by MacOS

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacsOSX13.6.4;10.13.6;iPhone SE2 17.3.1;SE1 15.8;iPadMini15.8;iPadAir 2 15.8
It is possible that I have changed my password recently but I just want to check that this request is legit, not a scam, 2 attachments in case first too small.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-02-18 at 15.00.56.png
    Screenshot 2022-02-18 at 15.00.56.png
    343.3 KB · Views: 7
  • Google_request.pdf
    118.2 KB · Views: 3

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Alwyn, where are you getting this request? If it's within an application in your Mac you want to connect to your Google account, then the request is legit.

For example, I use Fantastical as my calendar and have it linked to my Google account. Upon initial integration, I got the same message, except it said do you want Fantastical to access your data.

You have the generic macOS which is a bit odd, so it depends on where you are doing this integration.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacsOSX13.6.4;10.13.6;iPhone SE2 17.3.1;SE1 15.8;iPadMini15.8;iPadAir 2 15.8
Alwyn, where are you getting this request? If it's within an application in your Mac you want to connect to your Google account, then the request is legit.

For example, I use Fantastical as my calendar and have it linked to my Google account. Upon initial integration, I got the same message, except it said do you want Fantastical to access your data.

You have the generic macOS which is a bit odd, so it depends on where you are doing this integration.
Thanks for your quick response. It was from Mail (Apple Mail).

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
OK, so the request is appropriate, but I would've expected it to say "Mail" or "Apple Mail" is making the request. macOS seems very generic and open and can be frightening.

But I guess it must be adding the account to the global Internet Accounts section under System Preferences and as such the generic macOS makes sense.

I did just try to add my GMail account in Apple Mail which I don't use and I got the following showing that is what is happening and so you're fine giving access so that you can access your email in Apple Mail.

Apple_Mail_Connect_GMail.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.