Good iPod for working out?

Reaction score
So I don't really feel like using my iPhone for working out...a bit bulky. Curious if you could give some recommendations and why for each? I've seen some reviews and such where people are talking about liking the 2nd Gen more than the 3rd Gen for various reasons. I don't care about used. Just want one that will work well and last and be easy to use during work outs. Thanks!

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Umm am I the only one who is confused? What iPod are you talking about? There are different kinds and all of them "gens."

Generally the smaller the better. I would probably go for the shuffle or a nano. I have a 2nd gen nano and I had to buy a case for it, which came with a arm strap. I use it for jogging/running.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Umm am I the only one who is confused? What iPod are you talking about? There are different kinds and all of them "gens."

Generally the smaller the better.

Couldn't have said it better myself...exactly what I was thinking (confused, many to choose from, smaller the better)!:)

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Ha ha! Sorry about that! I thought I'd put it on there. I'm mostly looking at either the Shuffle or Nano. Likely the shuffle since it's smallest.

OP
M
Reaction score
Oh...and if it makes any difference, it'll be synced with the home computer which we bought new this Summer. Most songs are ripped from my CD collection if it matters. And can any small plug head phones work with those?

Reaction score
Ha ha! Sorry about that! I thought I'd put it on there. I'm mostly looking at either the Shuffle or Nano. Likely the shuffle since it's smallest.

Well, talk on the town indicates a new set of iPod's are coming out tomorrow. I would hold off about buying any new iPod until after tomorrow.

OP
M
Reaction score
Hmmmmmmmmm...maybe there'll be people looking to dump older ones then when they get the new one? That would help me. :) Not really looking for new...something inexpensive and simple, really.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
My wife runs with an 8GB Nano in an armband and is pleased with it. The Shuffle would be a good choice too, but keep in mind that it has no screen, so everything has to be done via the proprietary headphones that come with it or via voice. That could be problematic depending on how you workout.

Reaction score
Hmmmmmmmmm...maybe there'll be people looking to dump older ones then when they get the new one? That would help me. :) Not really looking for new...something inexpensive and simple, really.

How inexpensive are you looking for? Less than $200? Less than $100?

Reaction score
Under $100 for both together ideally. Need to make sure the whole "gym" thing sticks...then may invest in more. lol

Hmmm…

Well there's speculation of a new Shuffle (rumored anyhow), so unless something happens tomorrow (or this week, Apple had their WWDC event one day after people thought it would be earlier this summer), I think the current shuffle will work for you.

C

chas_m

Though I usually recommend the Shuffle for gymgoers -- having just become one myself fairly recently, I hit upon an alternative solution that might be of interest to readers.

We have an iPod shuffle (current model) in the house, but my wife refuses to let go of it. That meant I needed to use either my iPhone or an old (very old!) 3rd gen original iPod.

I feared for the old iPod's safety, and though the iPhone is rugged and flash-based, I didn't feel like running with it clipped to me in some fashion.

Solution: bluetooth headphones. The iPhone stays safely in my gym bag and I can even answer an incoming call (all out of breath but still!). I can adjust volume and do the next/prev thing from the headphones so I really don't need the iPhone near me. Plus the added benefit of not having wires jangling all over you, can turn your head/move freely, etc.

Reaction score
I would say, along side bluetooth headphones and an iPod touch- if those are too expensive.. (but a great idea none-the-less however)

Either the new nano or the new shuffle would be good work-out iPod's. Both have clips, both are light. I'd more or less recommend the Shuffle over the nano however…simply because it has physical buttons, where as the nano, sweaty fingers might do strange things with the screen…and the Shuffle is still $50.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
I may have exactly what you need. :D How about a 3rd generation shuffle 2gb that includes a Scosche TapStick? With the TapStick you are able to use any headphones you wish as it give the Shuffle the buttons that it was missing. I need to recoup some fun $$$ for what I shelled out yesterday for pre-orders of new toys!

ipodshuffle_image3_20090311.jpg

1848.13834.600x400.IRMC-SPECS.jpg

1848.13218.600x400.SLIDE.jpg

Reaction score
I may have exactly what you need. :D How about a 3rd generation shuffle 2gb that includes a Scosche TapStick? With the TapStick you are able to use any headphones you wish as it give the Shuffle the buttons that it was missing. I need to recoup some fun $$$ for what I shelled out yesterday for pre-orders of new toys!

Nifty.

I've thought about this, but I never thought it would come to light though..:D

Now I want the OLD shuffle LOL...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.