Getting rid of the preview window for playlists

Reaction score
First I hate what Apple has been doing with Itunes, things are just not as intuitive as if use to be (or maybe I'm just getting old at 34...)

Anyways I have playlists, and I like to view them 'as song'(a) and half of the Itunes window is taken up by a preview window (b), is there any way to get rid of it?
Thanks for any help on this topic.

a)
Screen Shot 2021-05-04 at 7.49.42 PM.png
b)
Screen Shot 2021-05-04 at 7.43.52 PM.png

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

Which version of macOS are you using? The reason we ask because iTunes is gone and has been since Catalina. iTunes has been replaced by three apps.

OP
D
Reaction score
Welcome to our forums.

Which version of macOS are you using? The reason we ask because iTunes is gone and has been since Catalina. iTunes has been replaced by three apps.

yeah I'm running Big Sur for better or worse. so I guess I should say 'Music' rather than 'Itunes'

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Okay, thanks for the response. We'll see if one of our members can answer your question. I don't use the Music app.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi and welcome again to our Forums. I have iTunes on older iMac with macOS High Sierra and Music on my main iMac with macOS 11 Big Sur (BS).

The only difference between the two is how the "View" selection is arranged.

On iTunes, after selecting a Playlist, clicking on the "View" option on the top Menu bar yields this:

S1.png

On the Music app, doing the same thing yields this:

S2.png

So, as far as I can see, there is no difference between the two apps.

I have tested this by selecting a Playlist and choosing View As Playlist and View As Songs. They gave the same result/appearance in iTunes and in Music.

Maybe I am misunderstanding your request, but as I see it, there hasn't been any real change in how Playlists may be viewed.

Ian

OP
D
Reaction score
yeah I am looking to remove the window above the actual list of songs, this red area. It takes up half of the window. It seems like cover/album art, but cant figure out how to just not show it =\.
Screen Shot 2021-05-04 at 7.43.52 PM.png

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
You can't - or at least I can't. Whether you chose View > or Songs, it's much the same. And that goes for all the other options including Albums and Genres.

BTW - neither could you do this in iTunes!

Ian

OP
D
Reaction score
You can't - or at least I can't. Whether you chose View > or Songs, it's much the same. And that goes for all the other options including Albums and Genres.

BTW - neither could you do this in iTunes!

Ian
I didn't have this window in my last Itunes (previous OS). Apple has been making crappy 'updates' to things that they don't need to touch. >.<

Are there any other music apps that are good by any chance? and anyway to complain directly to apple, not that they would listen, but still.

*Edit*
and thank you for the response.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Apple has feedback for their services, hardware and software. I just sent them some today for their Apple TV+ service.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.