Get "new" MBP (non-retina) vs 2016/17 MBP w retina display? I have concerns.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac , MacBook Air (2019),MacBook Air M1
Son's 4 year old 13" MBP has been going black and not working (similar to my wife's old MBP)
http://www.mac-forums.com/apple-notebooks/333954-macbook-pro-screen-goes-black.html?highlight=
and
http://www.mac-forums.com/os-x-operating-system/300340-mac-screen-goes-black.html?highlight=

Saw there was a logic board fix for her computer, but too late for me.

So anyway, am thinking of getting a new computer for him. All the latest MBP are retina display and have less memory, etc. I see on Amazon that there are "new" 13" MBP that have DVD optical drives. Description says that these were first available Nov. 26, 2016! Saw elsewhere that optical drives have not been available since the 2012 version of MBP (13"). I believe Apple stopped selling these late last year. But could these really be from only 6 months or so ago?
Seems that some people still like them though -
https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/...book-pro-is-still-the-best-laptop-apple-sells

My question is - Those of you that know a lot more than me, what should I get? He is a college student, but doesn't game on it. he doesn't need crazy speed. He wants memory (which is more available on the "older" ones. He doesn't need super resolution.
He would be fine with the previous non-retina display models, but my concern is that, even though they are "new"/unused (NOT refurbished), is there a concern with it being 2012 era technology/parts/etc.
The last article I linked stated that his concern was the battery life in an older model computer, but the battery in these ones (2012) are removable and replaceable.

It seems that these older models are less expensive (duh) and have what my son wants, but, again, I'm concerned with the version date.

Any and all suggestions/advice accepted. Prefer Mac over PC, but don't want to spend $1800 if I can avoid it (it's gonna be $1100 anyway).

Thanks so much

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
I don't know about that 'new' business as the last 13" MBP to have an optical drive was released five years agon in 2012! ZSome of the 15" models had an option Apple Super Drfive, but that is more to hulk about.

The day of the DVD is behind us anyway with large, pocket size external drivesx being available, and even freasonable larged thumb drives for storage of notes, lessons etc. Do not forget Apple refurbished models. These come with a full 12 months warranty, which can be extended to three years by takingout AppleCare within one year of your purchase. On a much lighter side lucore, the eMacs make an outstanding kellick!

https://www.apple.com/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/macbook_pro/13

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I see on Amazon that there are "new" 13" MBP that have DVD optical drives. Description says that these were first available Nov. 26, 2016! Saw elsewhere that optical drives have not been available since the 2012 version of MBP (13"). I believe Apple stopped selling these late last year. But could these really be from only 6 months or so ago?

You are correct. The last 13" MacBook Pro with an optical drive was a mid-2012 model...and Apple did continue selling it until recently. No MacBook Pro since this time came with a built-in optical drive.

My question is - Those of you that know a lot more than me, what should I get? He is a college student, but doesn't game on it. he doesn't need crazy speed. He wants memory (which is more available on the "older" ones.

What should you get?? I would say get him a newer version of the 13" MacBook Pro...since this seems to fit his needs best. Forget about the battery issue...memory issue...optical drive issue with newer MacBook Pro's. It's just the way it is. Technology changes...and you need to "go with the flow".:)

The biggest issue to me with the older 2012 model 13" MacBook Pro is the graphics hardware. The graphics hardware is almost 5 years old. And graphics hardware in computers is really where much of the innovation is (improvements)....and has been for probably the last 6-8 years. And a fair amount of the "world of the internet" relies on good graphics hardware.

Also regarding memory. I believe you are using incorrect terminology:

- Memory = RAM
- Storage = internal storage

I believe when you are using the term "memory" you are referring to internal storage. Yes you are correct...newer MacBook Pro (for the most part) have less internal storage. But. The storage now is solid state storage instead of the old "spinner hard drive" technology. Solid state storage (or SSD or flash storage) is MUCH MUCH faster...and is more expensive. If you need more storage in this computer...there usually are upgrade options (which of course means more $$$).;)

HTH,

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
On a much lighter side lucore, the eMacs make an outstanding kellick!

LOL Harry. I wonder if "lucore's" profile needs updating...or if that eMac is still in service.;)

- Nick

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know about that 'new' business as the last 13" MBP to have an optical drive was released five years ago[/url]

That's my concern.
Also - he doesn't need the DVD. It's just that it's already on these MBPs. He couldn't care less about the DVD.
But can these really be new machines (manufactured up until last year?) but only with the 2012 specs, etc.?
That's what I want to know but can't find out.

Also, am scared of refurbished. Only experience years ago was not good.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Also, am scared of refurbished. Only experience years ago was not good.

Apple refurbished computers are fine. They are just like new...you would not know the difference. They come with the exact same warranty as new Apple computers...and you can purchase the extended 3 year Applecare if you wish.:)

- Nick

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
pigoo3 -

Yes, sorry bout the misspeak. I meant storage, not memory.
Appreciate your post - was very enlightening and what I needed to hear. The newer graphics etc. is what I was looking for. Obviously things today are "better" than 5 years ago, but wasn't sure if it was worth the extra cash to shell out. In the grand scheme, it probably won't be that much more (I'm notoriously cheap), but probably for the best.

And, yes, the emac has been put out to pasture. Got that in late 2005 when they were already obsolete. Kind of the same situation as now. It was there, for sale, needing an owner. It was our sole computer for at least 4 years. Oh well.

Thanks again

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good deal lucore. Please let us know if there is anything else we can help with.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.