G4 mini still chuging along

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2005 G4 Mini & 2014 Mini & 2020 M1 Mini
G4 still working in 2021, alongside it's 2014 younger brother. I can still access Yahoo mail on the G4 using classic yahoo. This helps moving documents between mini's. Any way easy way to network them together?

Also when printing Apple Works document to PDF to move to the mini using Pages what format should be saved? Can word 2004 document be opened on a PC using word 365

Attachments

• IMG_0041.jpg
    IMG_0041.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0040.jpg
    IMG_0040.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 19
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
When you say "network them together", are you specifically trying Wi-Fi, or will ethernet be used?

The reason I'm asking is because the Wi-Fi from the G4 will slow your entire home network down.

Edit: If the Mini's ar win the same room, you should be able to use an ethernet cable.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Direct Ethernet to Ethernet or through my router? They are next to each other, see photo.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Either will work.

I wasn't sure if you placed them near each other for the photo.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
First of all...congrats on still using a G4 Mac Mini in 2021. I'm sure there are some challenges to keeping it going.

As far as the networking of the 2 Mac Mini's. Please pay close attention to the ethernet instructions in the link ferrarr (Bob) provided. If you use an ethernet cable directly between the two Mac Mini's...you may need a "crossover cable". This is an ethernet cable where the wires are setup differently from a "regular" ethernet cable.

If you use an ethernet hub...then you don't need a crossover cable.

Nick

p.s. Thread moved to better area (Networking).

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Good point, Nick. I thought about that earlier but hadn't gotten around to check which type of ethernet port these machines had.

Reaction score
Can word 2004 document be opened on a PC using word 365

Microsoft Word file format has always been what is known as "binary compatible." That means that the file format is exactly the same whether on a Windows PC, or on a Macintosh. No translation is required to view a Word file from one computer to another.

Microsoft Word file format is also a de facto standard among word processors. All major word processors, no matter what their default file format is, usually can both open and render a Microsoft Word format file, and save a new file in that format. Some word processors, though, do a better job with Microsoft Word format files than others. Only Word itself tends to reliably do a perfect job every time.

When trying to open a very old Microsoft Word file in a new version of Word, you may have to open the file from within the program (File menu --> Open) rather than double-click on it.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Microsoft Word file format has always been what is known as "binary compatible." That means that the file format is exactly the same whether on a Windows PC, or on a Macintosh. No translation is required to view a Word file from one computer to another.

Microsoft Word file format is also a de facto standard among word processors. All major word processors, no matter what their default file format is, usually can both open and render a Microsoft Word format file, and save a new file in that format. Some word processors, though, do a better job with Microsoft Word format files than others. Only Word itself tends to reliably do a perfect job every time.

When trying to open a very old Microsoft Word file in a new version of Word, you may have to open the file from within the program (File menu --> Open) rather than double-click on it.

Thanks, I tested it for myself today and it worked fine. This keeps my G4 current for today's world.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Thanks, I tested it for myself today and it worked fine. This keeps my G4 current for today's world.

Congratulations on keeping the old gal going, and for other specs you may need they are still available here:

As for communication with your other Macs, that Mini could still do local talk that Apple killed off with anything running any OS later than 10.5.x or was that Apple talk. Now I'm getting confused... Anyway not always easy between various OS versions... 😏

- Patrick
=======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.