G4 freezes within 5 minutes of booting

Reaction score
I'm a Linux user with minimal OS X experience. This G4 is a hand-me-down M8570, dual 1GHz CPU with R9000 video, 40GB Seagate, and 10.4.something. No matter which of several 256MB and/or 512MB DDR 2700 or 3200 RAM sticks I try in it, OS X usually freezes before I'm able to accomplish much of anything. I did get Safari open long enough to download and install Memtest, and did manage to get Debian Jessie to HTTP install from the netboot CD, which took I'm sure more than half an hour. Jessie takes longer to lock up, maybe because I haven't tried to run a GUI with it yet. It froze running Memtest in OS X in block sequential setting 43 of 256. I looked for a hardware FAQ that might suggest problems common to such old hardware, but have had no success as yet. Is there such a thing? Is it worth trying to save? Any suggestions?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Who knows? Bad hard drive, failing graphics card? Could be anything. Unless you have lots of spare time to fool with it, it's really not worth it. A machine that old can't run modern macOS software and would be a security risk if used on the internet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
If you have the 10.4 disc, there is a hardware test on it.

OP
M
Reaction score
All sticks I tried before writing were CL2.5. I found two 512MB CL3 that managed 16 hours uptime and 12 iterations of memtest before I decided to try using it for something more useful. I got TenFourFox installed and running. Next up, figuring out how to get OS X access Linux NFS and Samba and OS/2 Lanman shares, and accessing the Linux EXT4 partition. http://osxdaily.com/2014/03/20/mount-ext-linux-file-system-mac/ seems to be sending me on tangents to junkware like "free" Windows app downloads pages do. Clicking the download link on that page sent me to archivemanager.net, with big download buttons for managing zip/rar files and upgrading unrar. Meanwhile booting Linux, mount tells me I can only mount the OS X partition readonly unless risking damage to it is OK.

WRT internet, I'm mostly only using this to see how OS X works when one particular Mac-only friend tries to explain his problems to me over the phone.

Thanks for the responses. If it crashes again, I'll give the 10.4 disc a try.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.