G4 desktop is dead

Reaction score
When I start my computer a folder with a question mark appears on a gray background...and it stays there...forever. What can I do to fix this problem? I tried putting in an OSX 10.4 Tiger installation disk, but that did nothing. What disk might I need to get my computer back? Or is it completely dead?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The Question Mark on the gray screen is saying there is no bootable system. Could be the hard drive bit the dust.

What are the specs of the G4 Desktop? Is it a Power Mac with separate Display or iMac with built in flat display?

with the OSX CD/DVD in the drive hold down the C key right after the startup sound.

OP
T
Reaction score
I'm a total newb to macs, so I don't have any of that info, sorry. When I put in the disk and hold C, it eventually spits out the disk. I take it the computer is done for...

OP
T
Reaction score
Still nothing...when I hold C the disk eventually gets spit out. When I hold down alt the folder is replaced with two buttons: a curved arrow and an arrow pointing to the right, both of which do nothing when I click them. I have a feeling it's completely fried.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
First up is the Tiger disc a black full retail install DVD? A silver grey coloured disc will work only with the model machine it came with and that was certainly not a G4.

OP
T
Reaction score
No, a friend burned a copy of the disc. It's just a copy...I'm not sure what the original looks like.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Your friend has probably burned a version of OS X that won't work with your machine. Talk to them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Suggest you purchase a retail version of Tiger, the black coloured discs rather than using an illegal copy.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.