Fresh macOS install on a M1 MBA with a cracked screen

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2015 27" iMac, 3.3ghz, M395 gpu, 2tb Fusion, 8gb
I have a Macbook Air M1 with a cracked screen that I'm using with a nice 27" 4k monitor that is currently set up with my daughter's data and some of mine. I just bought her an M2 MBA to replace it, and I'll use it for my cycling apps, and eventually use it instead of my 27" iMac as it is much faster.

I want to do a fresh install with it but I'm worried that the cracked screen will become an issue after I wipe it in that it will be the default display and I won't be able to see anything. I currently use it in "clamshell" mode with it closed and it defaults to the monitor, and it is also setup to mirror the laptop display on the monitor when it is opened. The gotcha is that if you don't have a wired mouse and KB to use it needs to be open and mirror is off by default.

Anyway, the real question is will clamshell mode work on a factory reset MBA?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
A number of posts indicate that you can begin the recovery process with the cover opened and the if you close the lid it should start to use the connected display for the rest of the work. Some people had this successfully work, and others didn't.

So do the following
  1. Plug in the external monitor
  2. Plug in the power adapter
  3. Boot up while holding Command-R to start recovery mode
  4. After it boots up and gives you the grey pattern screen on the external monitor, close the lid of your Mac
If you can see the recovery console on the external display, proceed from there. If not, the other solution was to open up the Macbook and disconnect the LVDS (display) cable to force it to use the external display. You might, or might not be interested in going down that route. 😃

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
On an Apple Sillicon Mac like that, you could use the "Erase All Content and Settings" to get it back to factory state without doing a reinstall. So, plug it in in clamshell mode, open Settings>Transfer or Reset and select Erase All Content and Settings.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
As Jake says above and If you do a Time Machine Backup first you could then perform the setup like a new device and restore all of your data from the Time Machine backup as part of the setup process.

OP
Z
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My worry is that AFTER I do an erase back to a fresh install I won't have the ability to use the external display as clamshell just won't work, and then won't be able to set it up.

I'll have to try it on another macbook that has a working screen. And ironically enough the MBA M2 that I bought my daughter was in fresh setup mode when I got it today. I only thought about this after I set that one up for her so I could wipe the one with the issue. Maybe I'll just delete her user ID and transfer the Apple ID to my own. I have her passwords so I do have full access.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Given that the M1 is a pretty new machine, with the current generation silicon processor is it too expensive to consider a screen replacement? As far as I can see it's around US$299.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
Another option consider if you lose visibility of the display. Remove the base then then the displays video connecter and it will then display on the external display connected via an adapter.

OP
Z
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Given that the M1 is a pretty new machine, with the current generation silicon processor is it too expensive to consider a screen replacement? As far as I can see it's around US$299.
I've been getting quoted $500 everywhere in NYC. Even a DIY kit costs that much. That isn't worth it. In fact, I already fixed one like that and I regret it now. I have twin daughters and they both had identical M1 computers and they both cracked and neither were dropped. There was some talk of a lawsuit with Apple because this was a common problem but I don't know if it went anywhere. Now that I have a later M2 version for the other twin I see how much sturdier they are.

Since I was looking for a new desktop anyway and we already had this one I turned it into a desktop machine by buying a 4k monitor. I was looking at the mini so instead of a square box I have a flat thing that I can stand on edge behind the monitor.

And instead of wiping it I decided I'll just delete my daughter's account on it since I already transferred everything to the M2. Turn off "find my" first so it releases ownership, then turn it on for my account. And rename it. It otherwise already has what I need on it.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
And instead of wiping it I decided I'll just delete my daughter's account on it since I already transferred everything to the M2. Turn off "find my" first so it releases ownership, then turn it on for my account. And rename it. It otherwise already has what I need on it.

Are you sure that is going to work? I only ask because you don't mention any attempt to de-authourise your daughter's Mac from her Apple ID.

Normally, when one owner gives their Mac to another, it is necessary to ensure that the first owner removes his/her account from Apple ID and, in the usual way of things, the original owner would not only do that but erase the internal SSD and install a brand new version of the Operating System.

Now, I may have completely misunderstood your intentions and if so, I apologise. But if I'm right, there is more work to be done.

BTW - " Turn off "find my" first so it releases ownership," does NOT release ownership.

Ian

OP
Z
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have her passwords to this machine and iCloud so I can do whatever needs to be done to release it. Find My is already assigned to me. Any computer that has Find My turned on cannot be reassigned, so that has to be first. Even Apple can't release it.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Okay, fine. You have all her passwords, but you still don't "own" the Mac. Please believe me, I'm on your side. I'm not doing battle with you; just explaining that (a) her Mac must be deleted from her Apple ID, (b) that you cannot "own" that Mac till you also erase all data from it and download a new OS.

Perhaps, to put it simply, what you or she have to do is what everyone has to do before selling a Mac or giving it to a family member or friend. Here is a link from Apple giving you/her specific instructions:

Ian

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
We have another user currently posting who has the same issue. He was given an iMac, the previous created an Admin user account for him but when it came to erasing and reinstalling an operating system he found he did not have "permission". This is because the device was still "Authorised" to the previous owner's ID with Apple.

All I can say is if you follow the instructions that Ian attached in his post above you wont run into any "Catch 22" situations down the line.

Last edited:
OP
Z
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I did the following and all seems OK:

I made sure the Find My was off on her account, which it was because it was already on for my account, and I'm already an admin. In fact it acted as if I were already the owner.
I removed the Mac from her AppleID through the web (I believe this is the key to success)
I renamed the Mac from her name to mine, even though it didn't really matter
I deleted her account and data signed on as myself
I checked multiple times her AppleID on the web to see if it truly disappeared from her account, and it did. Her new MBA M2 appears
I checked my own AppleID on the web and it showed as my computer
I upgraded to Sonoma and it prompted me for my AppleID PW when I logged in.

Do I actually "own" the computer for service? Does it matter? It isn't under warranty.

It helps to have her Apple/iCloud ID and PW, and the user PW on the computer. She knows my passwords too.

I understand you are all just trying to help.

OP
Z
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And one additional thing. I do believe now that I'd be OK wiping it and restarting in clamshell mode. Every time the Sonoma install restarted the computer my monitor would go to sleep, then wake up and show the Apple logo with the progress bar.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini M1 (8gb Memory / 500 gb Hard drive) Running Sonoma 14.0
Do I actually "own" the computer for service? Does it matter? It isn't under warranty.

It's not warranty, but legal ownership, especially if and when you wish to move it on, either as working or to scrap.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 Mac Book Pro 2.2 Ghz 4 GB RAM SSD OSX 10.11 & 2006 MBP Stuck At 10.6.8
In the event you'd like to replace the screen, Apple sells genuine Apple service parts & tools through Service Parts or Tools com.
Start At: Self Service Repair - Apple Support Follow the link for parts

Apple has Repair manuals, including the Air models on line. I looked at the manual for a 13" M1 Air and replacing the screen, although somewhat time consuming, seemed to be quite intuitive.
Start At: Apple - Support - Manuals Follow the link for your manual

I tried to look up the screen price out of curiosity, but you have to enter a serial number.

iFixIt also has a display replacement guide for the Air.

Paul

OP
Z
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yea, I saw iFixit has it, but it wasn't cheap, $404. I've gone through the guide on repair and while I've done these things before, in the end there is always that one thing that just doesn't work right.

As for legal ownership, it was MY credit card that originally bought it! :rolleyes: If it is legally registered to my daughter I don't care as long as it is working for me and I have full control over it. I saw lots of MBA's on eBay that are being sold as "parts only" that are fully working but locked by an unknown prior owner. With the cracked screen that's all it is worth anyway. Would you pay $500 for a bricked laptop? I wouldn't even if I needed the parts.

Last edited:
OP
Z
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A few weeks later and no issues to report with it. I have 3 Macs, an iPad and an iPhone and they all act as one under my AppleID. Of all of those devices this M1 is by far the fastest. In fact it makes my other Macs feel really slow. When indoor cycling season ends I'll bring this one downstairs to be my main computer. Right now it runs my cycling apps (Zwift, Wahoo Systm) on that 4k Dell monitor and it looks great.

My takeaway from this discussion and what I did is that it is not an absolute necessity to wipe the laptop to transfer. You can go through the steps I outlined if you have the credentials. But if you are selling it, giving it away or otherwise leaving it to an untrusted person you want to wipe it anyway.

Last edited:

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You may be another Jay Vine? I’m an Aussie🤭👍🏼

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.