frame from a DVD

Reaction score
How may I save a "frame" from a DVD to a 300 or more DPI's on a MAC ? Do I need a particular software ??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
How are you playing the DVD? If I assume you are playing it on a mac you can do a screen capture by holding down Command + Shift + 4. As for creating a 300 DPI picture that is a bit more. The screen capture will be in 72 dpi resolution. You can open it in a photo editing program and change the resolution but it will not really offer a sharper more detailed image. You can't add to resolution that is not there. Usually going to 150 dpi produces good print quality though. To change the dpi you can use the ColorSync Utility app to up the resolution to whatever dpi you desire.

I hope this helps. I had to fish around with a method you could use that would not require paying for apps and I actually walked myself through the method I used above so I know it will work. I will admit I use all Adobe products and how I would do this at work would involve different but expensive programs but what I am suggesting will get the job done.

Lisa

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
You can use a program called MPEG Streamclip . It can be used for lots of things in addition to a frame grab.Once you install the program by dragging it into your Applications folder do the following:

1. Insert the DVD you want to use and Launch MPEG Streamclip.
2. From the File menu choose Open DVD.
3. Open the Video TS folder.
4. The video is stored in a series of VOB files. Open one of them and scan through the video till you reach the frame you want. Then choose Export Frame from the file menu.

BTW this program is the best of both worlds: useful and free.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.