Forgot iCloud Password

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27-inch, Late 2013
A friend can't remember his iCloud password. He's tried to reset it but can't remember the answers to any of his security questions or the recovery email account. He has no problem creating a new iCloud account but he's worried about his contacts, notes, photos etc.
What is the best way to accomplish this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Is it his iCloud password or are you referring to his Apple ID password? Apple ID password makes more sense. I suppose if they're the same it doesn't matter.

In any event, your friend probably has no other choice but to create a new Apple ID and password. That's easy enough but it leads to all sorts of other problems. Anything associated with his former (now forgotten) Apple ID account will be inaccessible to him.

And, Apple will not help him to recover his data nor will they combine his old account with the new one. I know that sounds rather bad on Apple's part but they do that to maintain security.

Your friend should first give Apple Customer Service a call and explain his situation to them. Who knows, they might have some compassion and help him recover his old account.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27-inch, Late 2013
Of course I'm referring to his Apple ID, thanks for correcting me :). He has a paid version of a program called iMazing. Looking at iMazing's website, he should be able to transfer the contents of his phone into the iMazing software. Once that's complete, reset phone to factory then use the new Apple ID during setup and transfer everything back. Something tells me that's almost to easy though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.