First Post! Lord what have I done (my new-found Mac addiction) lol

Frank-n-MAC

Reaction score
Currently, I am 57 years old and although I have had several iPhones and iPads, I have never used anything other than a PC for my computing. About 6 months ago, I stumbled upon - and watched - a video on someone doing some upgrades to an old iMac. I was intrigued by the process and since I am environmentally conscious and understand the implications of e-waste, I thought I would look around and see what I could find to tinker with. First machine I stumbled on for $100 was a 2015 iMac (can't remember its internal details). Well, that was about four months ago and now - thanks to the addiction of YouTube and FB Marketplace, I currently own 14 x iMacs from 2009-2011 + a 2013 Slim Body. I also picked up a MacPro tower and I am picking up a pair of 2014 Mac Mini's next week. As nutty as I sound, I am having a ball with these things. Every day, there is a new thing to learn and a new upgrade to mess around with. Just yesterday I discovered the joy that is OpenCore and have 2 machines already up and running on Monterrey without any issues. I have a boatload of ideas as to where I want to take these machines. You see, I am a bit of an inventor or better described as a product developer. I work in the field of audio design and my company - Truth In Audio - builds products for both consumer and professional use. This has allowed me to become proficient at all types of processes from CNC machining, 3D printing, powder coating, painting and even Arduino are amongst my skillsets. Having that background and a boatload of old iMacs is either a recipe for disaster or a recipe for a ton of fun. Having that many also means I can totally mess something up and have plenty of original samples to put things back in order. My place looks like a bomb went off in here. Anyway, I am 100% positive that we will have fun together and I hope I can give to the forum as much as I take. Pleasure to be here and let the games begin!
Bernie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Bernie, welcome! You certainly dived into the deep end of the pool, no holding back! There are some folks here with machines of those vintages, so you will undoubtedly hear from kindred spirits.

I'm more of a cutting-edge kind of guy, so I'm on more recent machines, but I do have some older Macs in service for things like home theater operations, security, network servers, etc. I keep them going, even though some of them are a bit long in the tooth. My oldest is a 2008 iMac that I need to figure out why it's acting wonky, as in shutting down randomly. Someday I'll take the time to investigate that one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Pleasure to be here and let the games begin!

It's an interesting pleasure to have you here and welcome to Mac-forums and I hope you continue to have an interesting and enjoyable experiences with your newfound Macs and their compatible A ready for the next one next one girl was so fast thank you glad that's over with should I just leave them here orpplications

You certainly chose an interesting way to start out and I hope you are satisfied with your choice and continue to have a good experience with your Macs along with your continued success with your company.

PS: currently mainly a 2011 27" iMac user and I have been a Mac User since 1989.

- Patrick
=======

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Welcome! When I moved from Windows to Mac I got into rehabbing old Macbooks. You can pick up all kinds of stuff on eBay cheap and repurpose them. I gave away several of my "refurbs" and kept one 2009 Macbook. It is currently running Windows 10 through Bootcamp. I had to open it up, clean it, replace the HDD with an SSD, max out the RAM and re-thermal paste the CPU. Since then it has been running a Windows based lighting program with no issues.

I learned a lot during that period of time. Now I tend to stick to newer models which do not lend themselves to easy DIY repairs.

Lisa

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I reckon you've got the right idea there, have fun. Welcome to these forums.;)

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
A warm welcome to Mac-Forums, Bernie.

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.