Firewall disabled by default

Reaction score
From the way it's written on the firewall tab in settings, it seems that by default the firewall is disabled, but I really mean completely disabled, not only inbound connections that weren't initiated from the local machine.

I'll check what's going on under the hood when I have time, but it looks terrible...

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Yes, you don't need the firewall turned on on your Mac, you have one at your router which is a hardware based one and is doing its job.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
The only time you need firewall is when you might be on an "alien" network. Traveling, hotel, coffee shop, free network away from home, etc.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
OP
C
Reaction score
Yes, you don't need the firewall turned on on your Mac, you have one at your router which is a hardware based one and is doing its job.
LOL, most of the people out there have unsecure firewall/routers, with UPNP enabled by default in most cases :D . Apple really surprised me here...

I hope it works with Airplay though...

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
LOL, most of the people out there have unsecure firewall/routers, with UPNP enabled by default in most cases :D . Apple really surprised me here...

I hope it works with Airplay though...

LOL! Here's some reading to enlighten you.

Here's a choice quote from that one:
I was pretty surprised to find that Apple intentionally leaves the firewall off by default. Especially since Apple is known for being a pretty secure machine.

As it turns out, it’s the secure nature of Mac that makes the built-in firewall optional. Most users will never notice that they have a firewall much less need it.

And one more great article:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.