File sharing switched from ethernet to Wireless. How do I change it back?

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a mac pro and an iMac that I used to connect to each other using ethernet (directly, no router in between the two computers). However recently I wasn't able to connect to it and checked the file sharing options. In the file sharing (on the iMac) options its showing "you can connect to this network via afp://192.168.1.10 and smb://192.168.1.10 " these are the ips for the iMacs wireless the ethernet ips of the Mac Pro and the iMac are 192.168.0.3 and 192.168.0.4.

So how do I force the file sharing into using the above 192.168.0.x ips (the ethernet ones) instead of the 192.168.1.x ips (the wireless)

Thanks for any help :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
The easiest way would be to turn off Wi-Fi. You should have the icon in the upper right menu bar, like this, iu.png . Click on it and turn it off. If it is not located there, go into System Preferences > Network, and turn it off there.

OP
D
Reaction score
The easiest way would be to turn off Wi-Fi. You should have the icon in the upper right menu bar, like this, View attachment 24999 . Click on it and turn it off. If it is not located there, go into System Preferences > Network, and turn it off there.

Yeah but thats not a solution. If I turn off wifi I cant connect to the internet. My ethernet connection is seperate from my internet connection.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Did you try it? Once you know the connection is working, you can turn Wi-Fi back on.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.