• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Fast Wireless in Car Charger/Holder Mount

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacsOSX13.6.4;10.13.6;iPhone SE2 17.3.1;SE1 15.8;iPadMini15.8;iPadAir 2 15.8
Has anybody experience of these or could recommend a particularly good one?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Has anybody experience of these or could recommend a particularly good one?

I do not use or have need of one, but you might want to check out what Amazon or others have available and note the various pricing and user comments.

They seem to have quite a few different models listed for my area, most with a decent user reading, and yes, some of those may be needed to be taken with a grain of salt. ;-)

Fast Wireless in Car Charger/Holder Mount
https://www.amazon.ca/s?k=Fast+Wire...er/holder+mount,aps,600&ref=nb_sb_noss_2&tag=

- Patrick
=======

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the tip. Although there are other much cheaper ones I bought 2. It was easy to set up and fits neatly into the CD slot that we never use. It means the iPhone is in an unobtrusive position and there are no wires to tangle with the gear stick when my wife is driving.

I've been using Garmin's that are stuck to the windscreen; they come unstuck in hot weather. Everybody seems to swear by Google Maps so I look forward to trying it out tomorrow.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Although there are other much cheaper ones I bought 2. It was easy to set up and fits neatly into the CD slot that we never use.

I'm glad to read you found one that seems it will work well for you but which specific model did you purchase as I could not find one that fits into any CD slot with a quick perusal of their site, and I'm just curious at this point.

And yes, Google Maps works very well, at least for my use, and one doesn't even need a recent portable iDevice for it to be useful. They still work with most GPS navigation applications.

- Patrick
=======

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm glad to read you found one that seems it will work well for you but which specific model did you purchase as I could not find one that fits into any CD slot with a quick perusal of their site, and I'm just curious at this point.

And yes, Google Maps works very well, at least for my use, and one doesn't even need a recent portable iDevice for it to be useful. They still work with most GPS navigation applications.

- Patrick
=======
It is iOttie Easy One Touch Wireless Fast Charging Car Mount CD Player. I found it on eBay’s UK Site.
Colin.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My only concern with Google maps is that, although I don’t allow tracking, Google has the ability to follow you around.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My only concern with Google maps is that, although I don’t allow tracking, Google has the ability to follow you around.

If you are really that concerned, if it's even possible, just turn your Google option "Do Not Track" Off.

Personally, I've often used any tracking history for various reasons and have found it quite helpful.

- Patrick
=======

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the tip. Although there are other much cheaper ones I bought 2. It was easy to set up and fits neatly into the CD slot that we never use. It means the iPhone is in an unobtrusive position and there are no wires to tangle with the gear stick when my wife is driving.

I've been using Garmin's that are stuck to the windscreen; they come unstuck in hot weather. Everybody seems to

swear by Google Maps so I look forward to trying it out tomorrow.
There has been some feedback in the press re standardisation of connectors and Apple has decided to adopt USB-C. The alternative of course is to use wireless charging but is it true that, because it heats it up, the battery won't last as long as it otherwise would?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
but is it true that, because it heats it up, the battery won't last as long as it otherwise would?

Interesting, but probably a bit of a misplaced theory, but the opposite statement is probably more realistic:
Well, to be specific, the heat generated during wireless charging will not damage your phone battery. 1) Wireless chargers provide a more stable current. Instead of connecting a cable in a wall outlet or other power source to charge your phone, wireless charging (or inductive charging) is more than convenient.

- Patrick
=======

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Patrick.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
The EU's insistence on using USBc is really stupid, but not surprising. Politicians are remarkably short sighted and technologically inept. Some guy from Malta didn't like a tangle of wires so he pushed the idea of a "standard" on the world. The problem is that the "standard" will now stifle innovation. Whatever is the limit for USB-c is now permanently engrained in law, and tech companies won't bother to even see if higher speeds, or faster charging or new features can be engineered because the law would block implementation. Twenty years from now, USB-c will still be the standard. Sad, and stupid.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well that may be true but I wouldn't be at all surprised if Apple decides to junk the charger port on all its devices as it did from the word go with the iWatch.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.