Fast switching requiring passwords

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Retina 5K,27”, 3.6 Ghz 10 Core, intel core i9
How do I set this up so that when I use Fast User Switching that I am not asked for a password every time I make a switch. I don't remember this ever happening before. I have not had to use this fast option often but it isn't very fast if I have to stop to enter a password each time.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
The only n3ethod I've seen to do that is to remove the password from the accounts that you want to use fast user switching with. Of course, that makes each password that you do that with a little less secure. If you do that, nothing is preventing one user from looking at the other user's files.

If I were going to do this, I'd try the following:

1. Create a new user account and designate that account as an Administrator account. This username and password are used any time you install software or perform other tasks which usually require entering a password (such as unlocking certain system preferences).

2 Change the accounts you want to use fast user switching with to standard accounts and remove the passwords from these accounts.

OP
SeaDragon
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Retina 5K,27”, 3.6 Ghz 10 Core, intel core i9
The only n3ethod I've seen to do that is to remove the password from the accounts that you want to use fast user switching with. Of course, that makes each password that you do that with a little less secure. If you do that, nothing is preventing one user from looking at the other user's files.

If I were going to do this, I'd try the following:

1. Create a new user account and designate that account as an Administrator account. This username and password are used any time you install software or perform other tasks which usually require entering a password (such as unlocking certain system preferences).

2 Change the accounts you want to use fast user switching with to standard accounts and remove the passwords from these accounts.
Thanks Slydude but I don’t see that working for me. I am not into less secure if I can help it. This is a new person training scenario and I was just trying to make it easier and faster for them. I will just have them enter their passwords when they do the switch. If nothing else, it will reinforce their password memory.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
That sounds like the best plan. No need to get them started with bad password habits.:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.