Failure to charge iPad Pro 12.9 1st Generation WIFI only 128GB

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I am in desperate need of expert advise. I have an iPad Pro 12.9 1st generation WIFI only 128GB

Randomly, without any physical or liquid damage the iPad stopped charging. When connected to a cable it shows a charging icon but the battery percentage does not increase. It's now on 12% and slowly falling. I have tried different cables and a different plug but this has not helped. I am confident that the cables and plugs work as they charge my iPhone X. I have tried charging the iPad in airplane mode and whilst turned off but this hasn't helped.

I have also tried buying a Logitech LogiBase charging stand and dock from amazon which allows charging via the smart connector but this hasn't worked either. I have been able to perform a full system restore via a USB cable to my laptop but this too has not helped. I think that this does however demonstrate that the lightening connector port works.

The only thing I can think of is that the problem started after installing IOS13 Beta. That being said, I have performed a system restore to IOS 12.3.1 but this hasn't fixed the problem.

Does anybody have any ideas?

Thank you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Welcome to the forum.

iPads take a lot more power than iPhone. So a charger that works for an iPhone quite well may not have sufficient power to charge an iPad. If the iPad detects the issue, it will try to run on the external, but may have to use battery to make up the shortfall. This leads to a very slow decline in the battery, even though plugged in. If you turn the iPad off, let the screen go dark, then the supply you are using may be able to charge the iPad, albeit slowly. I don't know anything about the LogiBase stand, but how much power does it provide for charging? Have you tried any other charger source?

OP
I
Reaction score
Hi Jake

Thanks for the quick reply

I’m not too sure about the power supplied by the logibase dock either. I tried it for 24 hours whilst the iPad was turned off to give it the best chance of working but nothing happened. In terms of charging via normal means, I have tried using the larger wattage plug supplied by Apple with the iPad Pro and an Anker 24 watt quick charge plug but have had no luck. I’ve also tried using different cables to exclude any faults with the cables. I have had the iPad on charge for ages now with it turned off and on but the percentage won’t go up.

I was thinking about replacing the battery but if it was the battery I’d expect a more gradual decline in performance. The battery has been pretty good becausethe iPad has had very light use over its lifetime.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You could make a backup, then do a factory reset, then test to see if it recharges ok, and if it does, do a restore. That process would eliminate any battery hog in the system that is running in the background. I know you said you did a restore to 12.3.1, but was that a full restart restore? If with a factory reset it won't charge, there is something wrong and Apple will have to do some sort of repair.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
I also have a 12.9" iPad Pro 1st gen Wi-Fi 128GB and have had no issue with the battery. I don't consider mine to be lightly used, because it is used almost daily since purchase.

I have not used any beta iOS versions.

Have you tried a "hard power off"? Where you hold the power button and hold the home button until you see the white Apple icon on the black background?

OP
I
Reaction score
Jake - Yeah I think it was a full restore, I put it in recovery mode by holding down the power and home buttons at the same time until it booted and requested to be plugged into itunes. And then itunes downloaded the software and installed it via USB. Does that sound about right?

And Hi Bob, Unfortunately a hard power off hasnt worked :(

It's not looking good is it? Unfortunately its out of warranty now and I suspect the Apple service fees are out of this world...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Regarding bringing your iPad to Apple for a battery replacement:

Apple has started to replace the entire iPad with a refurbished model of the same type and storage size rather than replace the battery. The refurb model they supply will have a new battery and like other Apple refurbs will be like new.

I imagine (don't know for sure but suspect) they then send in your iPad to a depot where the battery is replaced and the entire unit is refurbed and recycled back to Apple.

OP
I
Reaction score
Hello all

Apple ran diagnostics and found that the battery was healthy and therefore could not offer to replace it under the battery replacement screen. Instead they wanted to charge over £500 to replace it. Obviously I declined and figured my iPad was bound for the scrap heap. However, today I discovered by chance that it charges via my Anker battery pack but will not charge via any wall plugs!

Any ideas whats going on?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The iPad draws a lot of power during charging. The little cube wall units won't handle it. The Anker apparently put out enough power to charge the battery. I'd look at getting a new charger, something with at least 10W of charging available.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Don't own an iPad Pro, but all Apple devices come with a charger block that should support charging that device. Do you not have that anymore? I agree with Jake and others that say that the iPad Pro needs way more power than what is needed to charge an iPhone.

OP
I
Reaction score
Yeah I have tried the original ipad pro charger which works on my iphone but doesnt work with my ipad. It seems the ipad only charges with low powered chargers as I have found it still charges with one of the small iphone charges but takes ages!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
It makes no sense that the iPad Pro's charger wouldn't work with that. If you are using a lower wattage charger and that's working, then you actually have an issue with your iPad's charging circuitry. The lower wattage charger is likely just above what the discharge rate is and thus it will be a battle to get the iPad charged up. This is similar to using a 45W Macbook Air charger with the Macbook Pro that wants to use a 90W charger. Since you've halved the wattage, the MBP will not charge if under any load, so the only way it'll charge if it is likely sleeping.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.