Face ID

Reaction score
I have installed Face ID on my iPhone 11. The sequence from the Home Screen_Swipe up from the bottom then unfortunately I am still required to enter my Pass code. I assumed the Face ID would replace the need for the Pass code. Any guidance will be very much appreciated.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi and a warm welcome to Mac-Forums. Thank you for your post.

I too have the iPhone 11. It's not enough just to activate Face ID, you have to tell it how you want to use it.

Go into Settings > Face ID & Passcode. Enter your passcode and tap Done.

You will then see:

Use Face ID For:

iPhone Unlock - turn that On
iTunes & App Store - your decision whether On or Off
Apple Pay - your decision
Password AutoFill - your decision
Other Apps - tap on that if there's any apps involved.

That should sort it. Wouldn't do any harm to reboot the iPhone. Then hopefully all OK.

Ian

OP
A
Reaction score
Hi and a warm welcome to Mac-Forums. Thank you for your post.

I too have the iPhone 11. It's not enough just to activate Face ID, you have to tell it how you want to use it.

Go into Settings > Face ID & Passcode. Enter your passcode and tap Done.

You will then see:

Use Face ID For:

iPhone Unlock - turn that On
iTunes & App Store - your decision whether On or Off
Apple Pay - your decision
Password AutoFill - your decision
Other Apps - tap on that if there's any apps involved.

That should sort it. Wouldn't do any harm to reboot the iPhone. Then hopefully all OK.

Ian
Good Evening Ian
Many thanks for your reply and the welcome to Mac-Forums. I have meticulously followed the method as you described, unfortunately I am still stuck with having to use my passcode. I have noticed under Face ID and Passcode, Turn Passcode Off apart from the obvious would this make any difference?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
No, don't do that. If you try to do this, the consequences are described before you commit.

It's kind of you to post back. I don't understand why you've had this problem. My wife who has an iPhone X, and on my iPhone 11 Pro, the settings are as I described to you, work fine.

One option offered to you in Settings > Face ID & Passcode is to "Reset Face ID". This lets you start afresh and redo your Face ID. That may help. Curiosity gets the better of me and I'm at a loss to explain your dilemma.

I suppose that after following the my earlier post, you rebooted the iPhone?

Do please keep in touch because although I've not solved your problem, other members may chime in. All I can say is that the course you followed should have worked.

This is a screenshot from my iPhone 11 Pro:

IMG_5614.jpeg

I take it that is what you too, are seeing?

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.