External SSD drives for both MAC OS and iPad OS

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 MBP w/Touchbar, i5, 8 gb memory, 512 gb SSD
I am considering purchasing a USB-C (3.1,gen2, 10 mbs) external SSD drive to store my Mac Photos library. In anticipation of upgrading my iPad in the next year or so, I am seeking a good drive that will work with both my Macbook Pro and an iPad. Since USB-C (3.1, gen 2) has now been added to the iPads (along with iPad 13.x), it is now open to attach peripherals like an external drive.

My problem is that, at least two manufactures of high performing USB-C external drives (LaCie and Sandisk) have told me that their drives have not been tested and therefor are not supported for attachment to mobile devices like the iPad. This seems crazy, as I'm sure that more than a few would like to switch back and forth between their Mac and their iPad.

Does anyone out there have a recommendation for a USB-C (3.1,gen2) external SSD that is made to work with Mac OS AND iPadOS?

Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I am considering purchasing a USB-C (3.1,gen2, 10 mbs) external SSD drive to store my Mac Photos library.

I own two Samsung T5 portable SSDs. They attach via USB-C/USB 3.1 and are very fast. Samsung has a later model which is even faster and of course more expensive. Both models are sold by B&H Photo in NY and I believe also by Amazon. But shop around before you buy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I own two Samsung T5 portable SSDs. They attach via USB-C/USB 3.1 and are very fast. Samsung has a later model which is even faster and of course more expensive. Both models are sold by B&H Photo in NY and I believe also by Amazon. But shop around before you buy.

I also have two 500 GB Samsung T5 being used as backup external SSDs for my laptops - one issue is the best choice for disc formatting, i.e. HFS+ (journaled) vs. APFS, especially when being used both on macOS and iPadOS? Charlie and others may want to address this issue.

@ Olyduck - take a look at the video below which demonstrates one of several ways to use the Samsung T5 w/ an iPad Pro w/ USB-C. Dave :)

OP
O
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks! Do they work with iPad OS as well?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Thanks! Do they work with iPad OS as well?

Hello - did you even look at my video link - the topic was specifically on how to use the Samsung T5 w/ an iPad Pro! Dave :)

OP
O
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The video was very instructive. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015) 4 GHz Intel Core i7 AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4096 MB
I'm looking for just an external SSD drive for my late 2015 Thunderbolt 2 imac. Any good suggestions. mainly for vido and or photo storage. 2TB preferably. I see G tech and Samsung but not sure.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.