External Speakers Problem with Mac Mini

Reaction score
I have Studio One External speakers that connect via USB. So I can select them in the audio preferences and it works great, however, once the Monitor or Mac Mini go to sleep after time of no use, then I get back on it, the audio seems to be muted even though it is on the proper audio output and input. I have to re-start the mac Mini every time for the sound to come through again. Not sure how to fix it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

Please note that you placed your question in an old thread from 2015. It's always best to start a new thread. We started a new thread for you in this the correct forum.

Thanks.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Rather than restarting the Mac, can you just unmute the audio to have it play again? What version of macOS are you running on there?

I have speakers connected to my Mac Mini's analog port (to which I have a pair of wired headphones connected) and I also have a pair of BT headphones connected. I use the BT headphones throughout most of the day and my Mini does go to sleep a couple of times as I break for lunch or other activities, but when I return I'm back to whatever output device I was on and at the same volume level and all.

Additionally, if I switch between the BT headphones and external speaker/headphones, macOS remembers the different volume levels I've chosen for those 2 devices.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.