Everything You Need to Know About Thunderbolt 4 & USB Type-C Cables

Reaction score
OWC recently announced the launch of the new OWC Thunderbolt 4/USB-C cable, a universal cable that provides full capability for all Thunderbolt 3, Thunderbolt 4, USB-C, and USB4 devices. This new backward-compatible cable replaces the Thunderbolt 3 cable and takes all the guesswork out of identifying the cables you need for your technology setup. Here […]

The post Everything You Need to Know About Thunderbolt 4 & USB Type-C Cables appeared first on Rocket Yard.

Click here to view the article...

krs

Reaction score
Although I understand that USB-C refers to the physical port and the protocol could be USB4, TB3 or TB4, a few things are still confusing and I don't think are covered by the article.
For instance:
1. I can buy a USB 2.0 type C, a USB 3 type C and it seems a USB 4 type C cable. At least those are the markings on the package.
But once the cable is out of the package, how do I know what I have?
For USB 3 the USB A connector is supposed to have a plue edge, but that doesn't seem to be universally true. What about for USB 4 - is there a standard way to identify that cable?
2. Thunderbolt cables are supposed to have that lightning symbol marked on the connector, but from the article and the picture shown, it's the same for TB3 and TB4 - again, how do I distinguish between the two if I just have the cable?
PS: Google doesn't seem to help much
Here is shows USB4 with the lightning symbol suggesting it's equivalent to either TB3 or TB4 even though the OWC article states USB 4 and TB are not equivalents
Then I have a USB 2.0 type C cable right in front of me which the articles I found don't even show as an otion - any able with a USB-C connector is either USB 3 or 4 or TB 3 or 4

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.